Small boat "trailer"........UPDATE 5/22

Pony

Rear Admiral
Ok. Instead of buying a new trailer for $400+ or buying a used one, I bought this extending hitch for $40. I have a 12ft Mirrocraft/5.5 fisherman that I want to take to small rivers and ponds that my main boat won't go to. I plan to strap the boat down arcoss the beam and then tie the transom down at the carrying handles. I will be putting red reflectors on the boat. Anyone see an issue with this ( I plan to make some sort of bunk system with scap 2x4)?? <br /><br />Heres a pic of the boat, and the trailering device I want to use.<br /> <br />
icefishing0200uj.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Small boat "trailer"........UPDATE 5/22

we use to do that when i was a kid. dad had a frod p/u w/ 8' bed, tail gate down made 10'. we'd slip the boat in bottom up, lift the bow and slide the motor under the boat, lower the bow, he had installed a couple of eye bolts to tie it down. it wasn't bad going fishing, but reloading to go home after all day, was a pain. thank god he finally bought a trailer.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........ Looks like a Plan to Me,........<br /><br />Why would you Want to Buy,+ Licence,+ Insure,+ Maintain a Trailer for such a Small Load.............. ;) <br /><br />IF that old Dodge has Stake Pockets in it's bed,.... It wouldn't take much to go with an Over-head Rack to carry that boat.....<br />That'll leave the bed open for the motor,+ Other Stuff........

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Mount a 8" wide keel roller to the top of the hitch extension and it will be easier to "roll" the boat in and out. Might even be able to do it by yourself.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You mentioned using a strap across the beam. Remember that this prevents side-to-side and vertical movement only. You need a tie down that prevents the boat from being ejected or moving backward on sudden acceleration. Run a line from the stern to one of the tie downs just inside the tail gate. This will make sure the boat stays inside the bed.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I've used one of those extenders quite a lot to haul long pieces of lumber and it has worked quite good for that. I think this is a smart way to haul your small boat. I noticed your extender is just like mine and has the eyes welded on the ends of the bar for tie downs. I have found these are pretty durable and probably a ratchet type strap would do a nice job of holding down the boat.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I like the idea of the roller mounted to the extender.......I took a look at it and I think I could bolt one on with two u bolts and it would be perfect.<br /><br />And I will make sure the boat is secured so it can't be ejected.....either in the way upinsmoke suggests or maybe utilizing the two eyes the extender has where the cross member is bolted on.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Ok here are pictures. I am open to any suggestions, and quite frankly would like some opinions. I took a test drive with it today, and it seemed to work well. My only concern is the motor........I might cable it to the boat in case it wants to jump.<br /><br />
boatmirrocraft0019ii.jpg
<br />
boatmirrocraft0038ma.jpg
<br />
boatmirrocraft0040sb.jpg
<br />
boatmirrocraft0059hk.jpg
<br />
boatmirrocraft0067ps.jpg

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Any bets on how long before the back window get taken out by the bow? :D <br />Or someone rear ends the outboard?<br />Also, duuno what the WI rules are, but in OH you better have a red flag on the rear of that thing if it projects more than 3' from rear of truck.

Pony

Rear Admiral

LOL- I'm leaving the back window open at all times.....tough to see in the picture, but the bow is already going through the window a bit.<br /><br />You are correct with the red flag. Same rule applies here. I tied a red towel to the outboard, an am debating attaching some red reflectors to the bed extender.<br /><br /><br />I was figuring the odds of being rear ended are the same as if it were on a trailer.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

motor weighs, what, 45 lbs? probably ok, but...is the transom supported all the way to the end?<br /><br />You're going to use regular tie-down straps in place of the bungies, right?<br /><br />pretty cool design, p.o.n.y.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I will be using ratchet straps instead of bungee.......my other ratchets were in use today.<br /><br />In my initial planning of this, the transom support issue was something I thought was a non-issue (maybe not???) being that it wasnt sitting on this thing all the time like a normal trailer, but only for travel purposes. The support stops about 1ft before the transom. <br /><br />The more I think about it, the more I am thinking maybe I should use longer 2x4's turned on end and use them like bunks..........Im starting to think those "rollers" are going to dimple that hull. Then maybe extend them out to beyond the transom.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by P.O.N.Y.:<br /> The more I think about it, the more I am thinking maybe I should use longer 2x4's turned on end and use them like bunks..........Im starting to think those "rollers" are going to dimple that hull. Then maybe extend them out to beyond the transom.
My thoughts exactly about the little rollers and the hull. Pretty neat setup. <br /><br />Can you get it in and out by yourself?<br /><br />How do you "launch"? From a ramp? Unload and carry to the water? Just curious.<br /><br />I would also add something in front of the bow to protect the truck and boat. How about picking up a sheet of the foam wall insulation and gluing up a few layers to form a flat side that goes against the truck, and a v shape for the hull to fit? <br /><br />Nice project.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I like the idea for protecting the bow/truck. I just might do something like that.<br /><br />I can get the boat in and out really easily. All I do is lift the bow up onto the roller, walk to the back, grab the handles, and then lift and push it into the truck. Most of the places I plan to use this are rivers/lakes that are small or have a hp restriction etc. Most of these dont have paved launches, but just dirt or gravel slopes that go the water. I will polly just park as close as I can and drag it a few feet to the water.

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A small trailer would be so much more convenient and a lot less hassle when you're fishing without a companion, doing it the way that you've demonstrated will get old real fast.

BF

Lieutenant

Not bad, but since you're asking for input.... I would do it differently.<br /><br />My first choice would be to put a single roof rack on the cab and build some sort of support bar that plugs into the receiver hitch and holds the transom up. The boat would be upside down, bow on the cab, transom clamped into support at the back. Box of truck would be for your motor, gas, cooler etc. I have seen rear support things that clamp on (like a big C clamp) and the whole support swivels. Like this:<br /><br />boat loader thingy <br /><br />You lift/hoist/manhandle the transom into the bracket while the bow is pointed away from the truck. Then you lift the bow and swing the whole boat around until you slide the bow onto the roof rack. I've seen these "one man loaders" be used, and they're slick. Added bonus is that the boat doesn't collect water when it rains, and actually keeps your stuff psuedo-dry. Also since you don't need the extension out the back, you can close your tailgate.<br /><br />Second choice would be to have a headache rack to protect the glass, and a couple of cross pieces across box. Boat would go upside down and backwards, stuff underneigth.<br /><br />3rd choice: The few times I've carried a 12' in a pickup for short daytrips, I laid 3 old tires (no rims) in the bed of the truck and put the boat in backwards and right side up. Put piece of foam or old lifejackets in boat and laid motor gas etc in boat. The tires lifted the boat enough to clear the wheel wells, and also supported to boat nicely for the weight I put into it. I liked that if I slammed on the brakes, the transom would push flush against the front of the box (not the pointy end). A flag on the bow and a couple of tie downs and it worked good. After unloading the stuff, it was no problem to slide the boat out by myself. I think foam in the boat and the cushioning provided by the tires are important, 'cause otherwise, with bumpy roads you could beat the **** out of the boat.<br /><br />So even with extension thing, I'd have the boat in backwards and supported on tires, and the motor lying inside the boat. Having weight in the boat may not be ideal, but I think it's way better than having the motor hanging out there. Tough on both the boat and motor.<br /><br />Anyway, that's my $02 (seems more like $.04 :) )

anyfishlldo

Seaman

I'll throw in my $.02 too. I have a very similar 12 ft Elgin with a shorter transom than yours has. I found it easier to load stern-first as well, not only due to the bow hitting the truck bulkhead, but because in many cases I could pull right up to the water and pull it right out into the lake and drop it bow-first. I always thought that had I done that stern-first I would get some wash over the transom, and the vee of the bow not only prevents that but makes the push-off easier. <br /><br /><br />That being said, I found the same little gadget that you have there at a local store and I think I'm gonna try that on my camping truck, except stern-first. Looks like a good idea overall, especially since I'd rather not tow a trailer with a lifted 34 year old Blazer with big honkin' tires.

studlymandingo

Commander

How do you "launch"? From a ramp? Unload and carry to the water? Just curious
Unstrap, reverse quickly, slam on the brakes when you get to the water's edge!!! :p

matsyk

Cadet

With that style of extension be carefull when coming down small inclines. The extension I had was inserted into a receiver that I welded into my rear bumper. The extension caught and dragged on the slope and twisted my bumper. My new extension comes out of the receiver and then bends upward to bed height and then straight back. I no longer have to worry about catching it. I have carried 12 ft bundles of siding with no problems with my 6 ft box and the extension

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Small boat

Re: Small boat

Two things. First I dont see a problem with leaving it bow first, just put a strap to keep it from sliding forward during a sudden stop. Second don't carry the motor on the transom, put it in the open spot next to the bow. Just my $0.02 worth