Calkins cradles rusted through. Can they be replaced?

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a boat recently on the assurance that the trailer was in good shape. :rolleyes: After driving 200 miles to pick it up, I discovered that the trailer, a Calkins with large u-shaped cradles, had been used extensively in salt water. Hell, it looked like it had been parked in salt water for a year! The frame is solid, with some surface rust, but the cradles look as though they filled up with salt water and never drained. The entire bottom half of the tube is missing! I'm wondering if I can replace just the cradles (either prefabricated or custom made by a trailer shop) and if this would be worthwhile. The wheels and bearings are in good shape and the axle is solid. <br /><br />Thanks for your advice.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Calkins cradles rusted through. Can they be replaced?

If you can't find replacements, a good welding shop with a bender should be able to make the repairs without dinging your wallet too much!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get a price for the repair, then scope out used trailers. if you have good axle, bunks and rollers, you may be able to buy one that the frame is good, for almost nothing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take a look at championtrailers.com, cheb.<br /><br />They may have replacements.