Location of hole for reverse lock out on Tiedown model 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esqcaliber

Recruit
I have looked at manual, checked the web, and get repeated references to being able to lock out the actuator when trying to back up. I think I can turn over the 5 unit plug and attach it to my 4 unit outlet on the automobile such that when I turn my lights on I'll be able to activate a selenoid meant to work off the backup lights on my car. However, I have a tight parking lot on grass and have to back between RV's that cost a heck of alot more than my unit. I really want to be able to simply use a lock out pin, but although everyone talks about it, no one shows a picture of where the heck the hole to insert it in is. Can anyone help? thanks

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Location of hole for reverse lock out on Tiedown model 66

I am going to do a BAD job @ explaining it, but here goes. The hole is (toward) the bottom of the coupler, a little behind where the trailer hitch ball goes in. If you look @ your manual on the page where it explains how to bleed the brakes, at the top of the page there is a (really bad) drawing that happens to have the pin installed (at least in my edition).

It helps to realize the lockout pin physically blocks the coupler from moving backwards (thereby stopping the master cyl. from activating the brakes).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have the same coupler and there is no manual lockout on that coupler. There is a pin that is used as a coupler lock (to keep the coupler from coming off the ball) but there is no pin to lock out the braking action of the coupler.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same coupler and there is no manual lockout on that coupler. There is a pin that is used as a coupler lock (to keep the coupler from coming off the ball) but there is no pin to lock out the braking action of the coupler.

About 2" behind where you place the coupler pin (just beyond and above the thru bolt) there is a hole in the coupler where I place the pin to lock out the action (it actually may not be correct, but it works).

You are correct, I was describing the coupler lock (was going off memory), Tie-down does not recomend using a lockout pin (they say use a lockout selnoid), but this will work, and in the manual they say to do it this way ("when no trailer braking action is required")

Esqcaliber

Recruit

Thank you guys for your replies. Seeboo, do you have the ability to send a picture with the pin placed where you say you have been successful? If so, would really appreciate it.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some don't have the lockout hole, if they were designed with free backing drums or an electronic lockout option then they don't have the hole (no reason to. Some people drill a hole that a pin or bolt can be inserted into when backing. If you do this just remember to remove when trailering as there will no brakes at all with the pin in.

Bondo

Staff member

I think I can turn over the 5 unit plug and attach it to my 4 unit outlet on the automobile

Ayuh,... Wouldn't life be much simpler to just put the Right connector on the tow unit,..??..?? :rolleyes:

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... Wouldn't life be much simpler to just put the Right connector on the tow unit,..??..?? :rolleyes:

Bondo, You beat me to it, I just thought the same thing. If you wired the correct trailer connection, you could avoid walking around the truck to lock out the brakes manually.

Anyway, I had to upload the pic to my photobucket acct. The link is:

http://s643.photobucket.com/home/lesdexic

Esqcaliber

Recruit

Thanks for the picture, Seaboo. Especially appreciate the effort as I see the snow. I'm down in Florida where the weather has been rather cold this winter. This past Sunday was the day I chose for the maiden trip on the Indian River. Good thing I am originally from snow country because when the reverse locked up the brakes, I buried the vehicles wheels almost to the hubs and after disengaging the trailer and pushing it by hand 35 feet into its parking space on a grass lot between 2 RV's, I had to rock the vehicle out of the mud like I was caught in a snow drift. My back has been killing me ever since pushing the boat-laden trailer into place, but you can bet I will be getting over there today to check for the pin hole. Bond-O, your suggestion on wiring the vehicle up to receive all 5 from the trailer will eventually happen, but got the kids and grandkids coming in for a visit before I can get the appointment for the rewiring. Thanks again guys for all the help.

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to bring this back up, but was this the right location?

Cincyrunner

Seaman

There's a 4-pole to 5-pole wiring adapter you can buy and install yourself. The 5th wire should be "blue", and is connected to the back-up light wire on your vehicle. So when you put the transmission in reverse, you'll energize the solenoid and be able to back up. Now you can use it as you describe, by turning it 90 deg and plugging in the blue wire pole and plugging it into the brown wire pole (which is trailer lights). Just remember to turn on your lights and you'll be able to energize that solenoid. Best long term solution is to buy the adapter and install yourself. I just did it on my vehicle and it was fairly easy. The adapter can be bought for $25 at etrailer.

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then doesn't this mean you have to have your trailer lights plugged in while launching?

Me no likey that

Besr

Recruit
Where is the reverse lockout hole located on a 660 brake actuator by tiedown

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where is the reverse lockout hole located on a 660 brake actuator by tiedown

When was this thread last active? Oh, 2012! Start a new thread cuz this one is :closed_2:.

Status
Not open for further replies.