bunk carpet

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br />I'm curious to know when one needs to replace the bunk carpet on a trailer. Do you do this after a certain number of years or you wait until it rips or you can see the wood. <br /><br />In addition, when replacing bunk carpet do you place the new one it over the old one or do you need to remove the old one? I figure by keeping the old bunk one would get some cushion and it would be easier. Not sure if this is a good ideal. <br /><br />Thanks.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: bunk carpet

If the bunk pad backing is showing through the carpet its time to change it. Definately dont wait till it is ripped or torn. Thats how the bottom of your boat gets damaged.<br /><br />Edit: remove the old carpet, there is no padding.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Is there special carpet with padding specifically for bunks? I'm re-doing mine this weekend and the previous owner used the green outdoor stuff with no padding. Does my little 14' tinny require padding?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

home depot, sells a good outdoor carpet by the foot. it is 24" wide buy a 18" longer than your bunk, so you can wrap the ends. take a razor knife cut it down the center, you have bunk carpet. i just use 1" galvanized roofing nail starting on the bottom then wrapping around and fininshing on the bottom. do not leave old carpet on. you need it off to check the condition of the wood. the extra carpet or pad just holds water causing mildew and rot. the carpet is not for padding, it's hull protection.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Wally World sells the black bunk carpet. You can also go to Championtrailers dot com.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you thought about these?<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/products/16/38499_dutton_lainson_roller_bunks.html <br /><br />
38499.gif

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

excellant price. i have them on 1 trailer and love them. i do a drive on, just get the person in the car to hook the winch before you retrieve trailer, or the boat will slide off. voice of experience. also definately have to use tie down straps. tongue amd stearn.

steriosm88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought some of that rubber carpet underpad from home depot and used two layers on the new wood held on with 1 inch galvanized roofing nails as well. Over top i'm putting some out door carpet stapled on the bottom only. What i'm wondering is will there be any reaction between the galvanized nails and the aluminum boat if the carpet wears out over the nails? Thanks