Power Winch Cable to Strap?

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an old Powerwinch and I'm tired of straining of pulling set cable out of the winch and the occasional stab of a broken strand.

Is there any reason not to change to a strap assuming it can be attached to the drum?

Thanks, Mike

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Power Winch Cable to Strap?

Other than you'll no longer get splinters and you'll have to change it more often because of sun rot NO.

Greebo

Seaman Apprentice

I think the strap is much more suitable. If you protect it from the sun it will last your years. It is much 'softer' to handle, doesn't attack your hands and, it it were to break, is less likely to cause damage or injury.
No contest really.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I swapped my winch cable to strap a few years ago,....
I had to create my own retainer for it, drilled,+ cross bolted it...
It's already been retied,....

I think I'm gonna try Rope this time,.... 1/2"....

mphy98

Lieutenant

I just got rid of the whole thing and went with a hand crank and strap. the trailer is a roller trailer and it just glides up effortlessly anyway. Now one less battery and cables.

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to a rigging store. Like one that sells logging rigging equipment. You can get winch rope that is about 3/8 or 7/16" that is rated for something like 15,000# plus. Can't remember the brand name, but it's awesome stuff. We use it on our rock crawlers instead of cable for the winches. Lighter and safer than cable.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got rid of the whole thing and went with a hand crank and strap. the trailer is a roller trailer and it just glides up effortlessly anyway. Now one less battery and cables.

I agree. They're pretty cheap. You can get a 2000 - 3000 lb setup for $30-$50.