• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning trailer plug connectors?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning trailer plug connectors?

Does anyone have a quick fix to clean the male and female ends of a trailer connector that attaches to the back of a truck for the lights, brakes etc.? Somebody said to put brake fluid on them to clean the oxidation from the metal. Does that work? Any other suggestions?

Re: Cleaning trailer plug connectors?

Personally, I use WD40 and fine grit emery cloth and that's only when they really need it.Spray the connector, slip the emery cloth over the end of a flat bladed screwdriver and rub it over the metal and you're done.I'd be concerned the brake fluid would break down the rubber or plastic body of the connector.

Comment

Prevention is better than cure.Cut the plug and socket off a spare harness and connect the now blank plug and socket to the truck and the trailer when they are not in use.Good luck.
      sigpic

Comment

WD-40 and a small round wire brush. Then dialetic grease on the pins.Walmart has plug covers to keep out the dirt & debri.

Comment

They're cheap. Dirt/grease is one thing that can be blown out with just about any solvent in a spray can, but in my opinion they're not worth trying to clean up if you indeed have some corrosion present. The last thing you want when towing in the dark is to have only 80% certainty that you have a good connection. I'd just buy a new matched set and replace both ends.

Comment

My connector on my truck was corroded real bad. I cut it off and replaced it with a new connector. I also moved it so that instead of being in the weather (under the truck bed) I moved it into the truck bed. I have a cover on the bed as well.End result - It's been several years and there is still no corrosion. - Brian

Comment

Electrical contact cleaner and protectant (Radio shack or The Source now) and an old toothbrush. If its really badly corroded don't waste the time trying to clean it. Buy a new end and replace it.

Comment

I've seen mechanics at our garage use a wire brush made for male and female ends. Our plugs at work are round so they won't work for my flat type. I have to believe someone makes a flat version of this but I can't seem to locate one.

Comment

I use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water ( in a small spray bottle, in my toolkit) to keep everything clean.WD-40 to protect.

Comment

Corrosion X after every use ... takes about 2.5 seconds.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies . I will try some of your ideas for cleaning the contacts. The connections are not corroded, just dirty.

Comment

The connections are not corroded, just dirty.Soap and water?

Comment

put some grease or vasoline on the ends

Comment

The best way to clean corrosion on electric wires is mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda into 8 ounces of water. Then either brush on or soak for 2 hours. Then clean and shine with steel wool or emery paper. For the female connector, use a round wire brush from a .22 rifle cleaning kit or a .18 air pistol cleaning kit.

Comment

but youre taking off the protection thats already gone.so youre back to square one replace the connectors tractor supply has all that stuff.when i back my trailer into the water i unplug it from the truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X