trailer sway at 60

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was towing a 20' boat on a single axle trailer over the weekend. Boat, motor and trailer weigh about 3300lbs. It towed fine until I reached a little over 60mph. At that speed, the trailer began to fish tale a little bit. As soon as I let up on the gas and slowed a couple of mph, it settled down. <br /><br />I was towing it with a properly equipped Honda Pilot (save the "you need a real truck" responses please). <br /><br />I don't know what the tonque weight is. I am guessing in the 200lb range. Some info I read stated that this condition is corrected with a little more tongue weight. <br /><br />The trailer is in good condition overall. <br /><br />What do you think? I should do to correct this?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trailer sway at 60

My 1st Guess would be that it's not towing Level,+ Balanced,.......<br />You need the tongue weight at about 10%..........

impalapower

Cadet

You need more tounge weight. Shift some weight foward and you will be fine.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thing to check is the air pressure in the tires for both the truck and the trailer.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Tongue weight can be easily determined with a bathroom scale. Guessing is not a good idea...you need to know where it's at. I fully agree that most likely it's tongue weight that needs to be corrected one way or the other. I also gotta say that 60mph is starting to push the limits of that much load on a Pilot.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

SLOW DOWN. Check weights and pressures but you were going too fast with too much boat and not enough truck. Always a good combination for a wreck! Had fellow worker die this summer doing just that. :(

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wouldn't go past 60, but I do need to travel some highway to get to water. I don't know why 60 would be an issue with properly equipped vehicle and a trailer with brakes. <br /><br />My other vehicle is an Explorer. How do you think that would do? <br /><br />The Explorer is rated for 5000lbs and the Pilot is rated for 4500lbs. The Pilot is actually larger than the Explorer that is why I decided to use it to pull it.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by fishingdan:<br /> I wouldn't go past 60, but I do need to travel some highway to get to water. I don't know why 60 would be an issue with properly equipped vehicle and a trailer with brakes. <br /><br />My other vehicle is an Explorer. How do you think that would do? <br /><br />The Explorer is rated for 5000lbs and the Pilot is rated for 4500lbs. The Pilot is actually larger than the Explorer that is why I decided to use it to pull it.
You're Missing the Point,................<br /><br />The Trailer/ Load is Un-Balanced............<br /><br />Until you Fix the Issue,...... It won't Matter if you tow it with a Mack Truck,..........<br />It'll Still Sway.................<br /><br />You Need to get More Weight onto the Tongue.....<br /><br />Either move the Boat Forward,....<br />Or,....<br />The Axle Back,.........<br /><br />Boat trailers are built to be Very Adjustable......... Your's Needs Adjusting..............

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, I am not missing any point Bondo. I understand the incorrect balance issue and that will be easily taken care of. <br /><br />I was questioning the statement about pulling a boat at 60 mph. While well intended, it is a baseless statement. There is no reason that a properly equipped vehicle and trailer cannot be operated safely at 60mph with an experienced driver behind the wheel. The Honda Pilot has nothing to do with it. In my opinion, my Honda Pilot is a better tow vehicle than my Ford Explorer. This is based on me towing my other boat with both. The Pilot is wider and more stable.

BillP

Captain

Depending on which "expert" you talk to you need approx 250-330 lbs of tongue weight. If that doesn't fix it look at the tires...pressure and load capacity. If those are ok or near max load my bet is you have radials and they are swaying. The only way to stop that is to put bias tires on. I've gone back to bias tires for that reason.

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the sway to turn on and off at 60 I would initially say tounge weight. But considering the trailer is new to you -----<br /> - Check trailer level. On a single axle trailer, unless the tounge is very high this will not result in sway, but it is a good starting point.<br /> - Check tire pressure. A good starting point is max sidewall rating. <br /> - Check the tire wear. If one is significantly worn different than the other it would indicated a bent component or misaligned axle<br /> - Verify axle is 90 deg to the trailer frame and the axle is not bent. Simple ruler measurements will work for the 1st and eyeballing will work for bent axle<br /> - Make sure the axle attachment bolts are tight.<br /> - Measure the tounge WT and set it to 7-10%. <br /> - If sway is still present you will need to investigate a possible bent trailer frame.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by fishingdan:<br /> I was questioning the statement about pulling a boat at 60 mph. While well intended, it is a baseless statement.
I only mentioned 60 because I believe you're closer than you think you are to your maximum load carrying capacity for that rig, especially after you factor in the weight of passengers and gear in the truck itself. If I was pushing the max capacity of any rig, I'd want to slow down a bit. Your owners manual knows best. I haven't read yours, and I have no idea what else you load in the truck or boat when you're going boating...but I just highly encourage you to make sure you do read it, weigh your trailer (don't under-guestimate its weight based on specs), and make sure you understand exactly where you're at. Otherwise you're correct, if it is properly set up and well within its load limits, 60 is probably fine and such speed should not cause a sway in itself.<br /><br />There's been a couple recommendations here for 7% or 10% tongue weight. I have a couple different towing guides from car an trailer manufacturers, all say it should be 10% to 15%. Not saying I'm absolutely right, but I'm curious what sources these lower numbers are coming from. If your weight guestimate is correct, your tongue weight should be between 330 and 495 lbs based on everything I've read (mostly GM publications). What does Honda say about tongue weight?

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

I searched the web on this and found that most sites recommend tongue weights that range from from 7% to 15%, so 10% is probably safe.<br /><br />Here is a good excerpt from the Valvoline.com on how to measure your tongue weight:<br /><br />Tongue Weight. This term refers to the trailer weight at the coupler that is supported by the truck. The recommended tongue weight is between eight and 15 percent of the total trailer weight. To determine tongue weight, go to a public scale; drive across the scales stopping with the trailer on the scales and the tow vehicle's rear tires just off the scale deck. Record the weight. Jack up the trailer and unhook it from the hitch and record that weight. The difference between the two weights is your tongue weight. Determining the tongue weight is worth this effort. Too much tongue weight and both the tow vehicle and trailer will sway. Too little tongue weight causes serious trailer sway. <br /><br /><br />Note - What I found informative is the last 2 sentences on how being over or under weighted at the tongue affects the vehicle and/or trailer.

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you need a tandem axle trailer for any rig over about 2500 lbs.<br /><br />Another aspect is aerodynamics. The air coming off the tow vehicle becomes turbulent and when it hits the boat it can cause problems, especially with a single axle trailer. Might be fine at 55 and bad at 60. <br /><br />I used to tow a 2600 lb Camaro on a cheap flat bed trailer behind a 75 Suburban. You could tow the thing 85+ mph downhill with no problems. My wife had a horse trailer that had plenty of tongue weight, good tires, etc and it swayed no matter what we did. Sold that trailer to someone with a pickup and they had NO problems with it ?!?!?<br /><br />You should also check the toe-in on the trailer axle.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I've been making small adjustments to my trailer lately, here's what I found: move the boat just a few inches forward makes the ride noticeably bumpy; move the boat a couple inches back and the trailer sways a bit. I got it now where I don't feel the trailer, and no sway at all.<br /><br />Don't know the tongue wt %age though - haven't put it on a scale.

D

DJ

1. The trailer connection (hitch to ball) must be level. If your Pilot "squats" below level, you need rear suspension help. DO NOT remove tongue weight by adjusting the trailer.<br /><br />2. Tongue weight too light, will cause that issue.<br /><br />3. Look at the tire wear on the boat trailer. Is it even? A bent axle can start a sway situation.<br /><br />Your Pilot has a pretty short wheelbase. Tongue weight and any tendancy to sway will be magnified by that short wheelbase.

BillP

Captain

If you have a small airport around they may have scales. EAA chapters are everywhere and usually have them available to homebuilders. EVERY airplane is measured for CG with one scale on each wheel.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> 1. The trailer connection (hitch to ball) must be level. If your Pilot "squats" below level, you need rear suspension help. DO NOT remove tongue weight by adjusting the trailer.<br /><br />2. Tongue weight too light, will cause that issue.<br /><br />3. Look at the tire wear on the boat trailer. Is it even? A bent axle can start a sway situation.<br /><br />Your Pilot has a pretty short wheelbase. Tongue weight and any tendancy to sway will be magnified by that short wheelbase.
1) Not an issue. It is fine.<br /><br />2) I believe this is the issue and will make a small axle move.<br /><br />3) Tire wear is even. Tires are radials.<br /><br />Thanks