Is this a tire size? - C13 ST78

NakedDog

Seaman
I want to get a spare tire for my Spartan trailer, and the only numbers I can find on the tire other than the PSI is C14 ST78. Is this a tire size? It's a 5 bolt. I've never seen a size identified like this before. If so, what common size tire can replace this tire?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Is this a tire size? - C13 ST78

It's either a P185/75R14 or a P195/70R14
The tire you are replacing is probably around 25 to 30 years old

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

His tire is not necessarily that old. You can still buy tires with the older alpha numeric sizing codes.

The p185.... tire codes are for passenger vehicles, and LT185.... are for light trucks, and are usually radial or bias belted.

ST (special trailer) coded tires are bias ply construction for less sidewall flex.

Your C14 ST 78 is a 6 ply trailer tire.

I think this is gonna be the closest equivalent:

ST175/80D13 LRC

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep that's the size... although you have listed two different sizes in your heading and post.... the difference between a 13" and 14" rim is quite important..... make sure you give the right one at the tire shop

NakedDog

Seaman

yep...sorry for the confusion. The tire is a C13 ST178 (not 14"), and the trailer is a 1997 Spartan, and I'm guessing the tires are about the same age.

Thanks for the info gang!!!

NakedDog

Seaman

Just to confirm due to my typo in my post vs. title.....if the correct size of my tires are C13 ST78, a replacement spare I'm looking for is still a ST175/80D13 LRC ?

And by the way, what does the "LRC" mean?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Load Range "C". That is a letter designator for the weight carrying capacity of the tire. The weight in pounds/kg is shown on the side of the tire as well. The same tire in a "radial" rather than a bias ply construction will have an "R" (R13) in the size designator.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it is a designation for the tire. It will have a heavy side wall on it.

shuswap119

Seaman

Not sure, but I think the tire size you should be asking for would be ,
ST C78-13 load range C

Regards,

NakedDog

Seaman

Thanks y'all for the info. I guess I will have to try to find the same exact tire specs. I was hoping to find an alternative in a common tire size, i.e.: P195. But since this is a specialty tire, I guess I should stay with the same specs.

I'm hoping it actually requires this type of tire, and the last owner never just stuck these tires on because that is what he had. The boat is an aluminum 1996 17.5 ft Crestliner Sportfish with a roller style Spartan trailer....nothing special in terms of needing anything special - or at least that was my laymen thinking.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it isn't a specialty tire it is a trailer tire.... st = special trailer as in especially for a trailer.... any 13" trailer tire in the proper height and width to fit your trailer will be good.... the only reason to match exactly is so you won't have a funny looking rig going down the road..... when you go to buy a tire tell them the size you have now..... they will supply you with a same size tire either in the old sizing or in the new metric sizing.... the tire salesman will be able to make the conversion for you....... also if your tires are all original to the boat and 13 years old it's time to replace them all...... not that you can't get away with running tires that are maybe even 30 years old but even stored indoors and with no signs of cracking a 10 year old tire is a liability