Carlisle/Goodyear

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've been looking into purchasing a couple trailer tires. Because of what I've heard I've been trying to avoid Carlisle's. When I talked to a local tire dealer yesterday he told me that Carlisle bought the Goodyear line of trailer tires. He told me he has Goodyears, & I quote, he said, "if u buy them what you are getting are Carlisle's". This was after I asked him what other brand of tires he offered. So, if you've recently bought a set of Goodyear Marathons it appears they were manufactured by none other than Carlisle!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Carlisle/Goodyear

I think your tire dealer friend is full of it.<br />Here is the press release from a year ago:<br /><br />CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 1 2004 (UPI) -- Carlisle Cos. of Charlotte, N.C., said Thursday it acquired the specialty tire and wheel business of Trintex of Bowdon, Ga.<br /><br />Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.<br /><br />Carlisle said Trintex is one of North America's leading manufacturers of semi-pneumatic tires and wheels for lawn and garden and industrial markets. Trintex, founded in 1925, has annual revenues of approximately $33 million.<br /><br />Richmond McKinnish, Carlisle's president and chief executive officer, said, "The acquisition of Trintex fits our strategy of allocating resources to businesses where Carlisle has leadership. Trintex is a good addition to our portfolio as it extends our product line offering to the specialty tire and wheel markets."<br /><br />Carlisle is a diversified global manufacturing company serving the construction materials, commercial roofing, specialty tire and wheel, power transmission, foodservice, data transmission, process systems and automotive industries.<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Even if it were true that a division of Carlisle was now producing tires under contract for Goodyear...They are NOT the same sh!tty tires that Carlisle pawns off on unsuspecting victims.

rwidman

Lieutenant

So, if you've recently bought a set of Goodyear Marathons it appears they were manufactured by none other than Carlisle!
Did you buy the Goodyear tires and were they manufactured by Carslile?<br /><br />I'll bet a web search would turn up the facts.<br /><br />I have Loadstar brand tires and they have served me well. They are made in China (what isn't these days?).

NYMINUTE

Captain

Carlise's Quality manager should be jailed. They are crap.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

I'ts the other way around, Wolf. Carlisle trailer tires are made by Goodyear. I work for Goodyear and have made them myself. Problem is, they are also made by Dunlop, Kelly, Toyo, and several other tire companies. The other companies manufacture certain lines of Carlisle tires( don't ask me which lines because I honestly do not know). The problem is not with the company that makes them, it is with the manufacturing specifications and tolerances given to them by Carlisle. I can only speak for the lines that I have actually seen for myself, but on those particular lines, the specs were loose and the tolerances were wide, thus resulting in less than desireable construction of the tires. That being said, I am running Carlisles on two trailers of my own, and I have experienced no prolems with either. Hope this helps...

John McFarlane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone who has had a problem with Carlisle tyres done anything about it apart from winge to their their boating mates?<br /><br />Sorry if that sounds like a full fronted attack on you, but I see a lot of problems but no solutions. Has any enquiry been made to ascertain the cause of the failures?<br /><br />I'm sure a lot of people out there already running Carlisle tyres would like to hear a bit more of the 'I did this and this was their reply and their solution' rather than 'Carlisle are rubbish...blah...blah...blah'<br /><br />Solutions like 'I contacted Carlisle and sent a tyre back and they found.......' would be a good start.<br /><br />Any takers?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

John makes a good point so I'll assist a bit in his rant. My Carlisle radials have been flawless thusfar, my Goodyear Marathons before that were just as good until they started to dryrot. Seems the few people with failures are, of course, the noisy ones...and understandably so. I don't believe the failures are as widespread as this forum seems to make them out to be. Of course there's a few poeple with legitimate bad experiences, and a bunch more jumping on the brand-bashing bandwagon. Where's the lawsuits/recalls, etc? My local tire dealer (a personal friend) sells both Carlisles and Goodyear trailer tires...we chatted several months ago about this when the hubub started on this site, and he has noticed no particular frequency of failures/complaints of one brand over the other. He says if one was found to be garbage, he wouldn't sell it anymore. Hasn't happened.<br /><br />I've said it before, I'll say it again...I'd bet most failures are due to either poor maintenance/inflation/storage/speeding, or due to undersized trailers (resulting in tire overloading) that people don't even realize are undersized because they just came with their new boat and they assumed were of appropriate capacity. Everyone seems to shop for their new boat with gobs of research and knowledge, then just takes the trailer it happens to be sitting on with little thought or consideration. Boat mfrs and dealers save a LOT of money by utilizing trailers that are just BARELY beefy enough to support their unloaded rig, and the tires are always the weakest link. 'Tis just a theory of mine I can't prove, but the few rigs I've actually weighed have been VERY close to their mated trailer capacity. Then we load them with beer, luggage, gear and fuel and hit the road at 75mph. Surprise! Tires go pop, even at 50psi.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

hmmm....i have a 2005 glastron with a 2005 ez loader custom trailer that came from the factory with the new carlisle "sport trail" tire. i went to their website and i guess the sport trail is an all new design for 2005. the previous design known as the "sure trail" was discontinued in 2004. i have the sport trails and have over 1000 miles on them already and the still look brand new. maybe i just got lucky but so far they are holding up just fine.

Realgun

Commander

Well the Loadstars I got were mounted to the white spoke rims and have gone at least 3000 miles. They still look new and are 3 years old and have not dry rotted yet. I have no experience with the Carlisle brand however they are sold by Walmart if that tells you anything.

scubatrooper

Seaman

Hello all. I've read with much interest all the information on Carlisle tires since they came with my Tennessee Trailer when I purchased my boat and I was preparing to drive from Omaha, NE to Warsaw, MO to do some boating down at Lake Truman and Lake of the Ozarks. They are the Carlisle Radial Trail size 215/75/14 ST tires and are made in China.<br /><br />I am religous about checking and maintaining the proper cold air pressure of 50 psi. I just came back today from my trip which was 777 miles round trip driving an average of 65 mph.<br /><br />Luckily, I had no problems at all. The tread still looks like new and the sidewalls look good with no warping or bulges. The total weight of my boat and trailer with 30 gallons of fuel is 3660 lbs. I pulled the trailer with a 2003 Dodge Quad Cab with the 4.7 liter V-8 (O/D turned off) and averaged about 12 mpg on the highway (lots of hills on Hwy 65 to Warsaw, MO).<br /><br />Before this road trip I had put on about 300 miles towing locally. So far, I can't complain about these trailer tires.<br /><br />I'm not trying to stick up for Carlisle or sing their praise. I just wanted to report real world findings from my trip.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Steve

rwidman

Lieutenant

If you do a web search on "Carlisle Tires" you will find negative postings not only on boating forums, but on RV forums as well. Still, it seems odd that they can continue in business if their products are as bad as reported.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I had a bad blow out with carisle and it damaged my trailer and rim. I would never put them on my boat trialer again. That said I'm sure not all Carisle tires are bad. I had 15" radials load range d. It appears on this site and on other motorhome type boards they had problems with the larger radial tires. <br /><br />To the post that asked what anyone did about the problems. I was out of warranty and the tire shop (Carisle dealer) said Carisle would do nothing to help. I told them I know what to do, find me another rim and put on two new coopers asap.