new Tail lights for trailer

Dustin07

Seaman Apprentice
any suggestions?

I was looking at a pair just like this at a local shop, but they were about $200 for the pair. I almost bit, and then I said... hmm, maybe I should shop around first. I do need a new livewell pump, possibly some upholstery work done, among many other things I'm currently setting aside clams for...

So any suggestions on a good light setup? I'm replacing mine because one is broke and figured this is an opportunity to get some nice bright LED's or something.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: new Tail lights for trailer

I have seen LED's at harbor freight for quite reasonable prices. The kit includes everything you need for the install from the connector back, including the licence plate holder/light combo. The kit doesn't however include any side marker lights, but most of the kits don't. I have been wanting to upgrade my trailer to LED's but just havent wanted to dump the $ yet as the ones on it have worked perfect since the day I bought it. I know a lot of people are skeptical of hf stuff but I havent heard anything bad about these units, and hf is always good on returning anything. the kit was less than $50 bucks so thats not too bad imo.

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll piggyback on UtahBoatNut's reply. Northern Tools also offers trailer lights for marine purposes. I purchased a non-led setup for around $35, if I'm not mistaken.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try to support iboats if you can afford a few extra bucks. HF never taught be anything about boating.

Dustin07

Seaman Apprentice

Try to support iboats if you can afford a few extra bucks. HF never taught be anything about boating.

trust me, the importance of that exact thing is fresh my mind!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The only trailer light that is submersible and has performed flawlessly for me is the OEM Bayliner trailer light by Dry Launch. This light is still available from the manufacturer, and is sold at various retailers. Its the white housing light shaped like a key hole. Its a "bell jar" design with an inverted 1157 light bulb, and after years of use in the salt, the original 1985 Baylinger trailer lights still work and there is no corrosion. They have far outlasted the LED lights I bought for the MFG boats trailer. They out perform other "bell jar" lights.

They are much cheaper than LED's, and that is the only light you will ever need.

The lens does not come off to change the bulb, the entire housing is sealed except for the bottom opening, and that is why the bulb NEVER gets wet, even in waves, even when submerged 3 ft. The socket pulls out from the bottom, no tools needed, and the bulb is changed that way. All parts are plastic, except for small contacts for the bulb connections. A dab of grease keeps them shiny. I never have to disconnect the trailer lights when launching for fear of popping a bulb, because the bulbs never get wet.

Dry Launch lights are about $23 a piece. The "old reliable" is the model you want. I see its available in a black housing now too.

5801269.jpg