Raising Boat Trailer Bunks - Install Keelguard

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1982 Bomber Bassmaster boat & I am wanting to install keelshield or keelguard, but the boat rests on the front bow keel roller which according to the websites of the keelguard folks cannot be or it will compromise the product, create too much friction. I can lower the bow keel roller about an inch, but the way the bunks are designed on my trailer I think it will only drop the bow an inch & still the weight will rest on the roller. So I am wanting to raise the bunks using adjustable brackets, but am concerned of getting the boat too high which would make loading or unloading a problem, any info would be appreciated.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Raising Boat Trailer Bunks - Install Keelguard

Only a small area of the keel actually contacts the bottom when beaching the boat. <br /><br />Maybe you don't need it to go as far as the roller?

johnjsa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Raising Boat Trailer Bunks - Install Keelguard

You may be right. I'll have to double check again. I moved the boat forward on the bunks a couple of inches because the transom of the boat was right at the end of the bunks, so it might give me enough clearance so it doesn't contact the roller.