I just joined the failed Carlisle crowd

Homerr

Commander
I went out to check the tires for a fishing trip tomorrow...<br /><br />I found a huge bubble on the side of one tire.<br />It is a Carlisle ST 225/75 D15. The tire is barely 2 years old and I bet it doesn't have more than 1000 miles on it. :mad: <br /><br />I've done a lot of reading on IBoats and other web sites about trailer tires, and it would seem the 'which tire do I use' war is still raging.<br /><br />My original OEM tires were Titans. The only reason I changed them out was due to cracking caused by the sun. Unfortunately, I got sucked into the Carlisle trap. It was the only ST tire the shop had at the time.<br /><br />I'm going back to the shop I bought them from tomorrow. I'm not sure if they will replace it or not. <br /><br />So I gotta ask... Which tire do you use? :D <br /><br /><br />H.

JRJ

Commander
Re: I just joined the failed Carlisle crowd

I replaced GoodYears with Les Schwab trailer tires(an independent dealer, all over the West)

Homerr

Commander

LOL!! That's where I bought the Carlisle's.<br /><br />I won't be shopping at Schwab any more unless I absolutely have to. I've had my share of trouble with their products and services. <br /><br />You have any issues with your Goodyears?<br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Dad and I have 5 trailers , most are 20 years old or older, two are 35+ years old. All have Carlisle tires, either 4.8 x 12(b), or 5.3 x 12(c). No defects. All failures were punctures.<br /><br />Dad's brand new trailer has big ST Titans.

JRJ

Commander

OOPS, sorry to hear that. I've had good luck and service with Schwab. Anyway one of my Goodyears was wearing out (down to steel) on about a 3" section of tread. The other tire was in good shape. I went up a size, had the alignment checked on my trailer and am happy with my new tires. (I'll have to check into who made them)<br />I had good luck with Goodyears that were OE on a travel trailer.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

my trailer came from the dealer with the carlisles and i have about 400 miles on the tires now. my cabin is 250 miles each way and we plan on bringing it home every once and a while and taking it out on different lakes. Now what i have learned about carlisle tires really is starting to scare me. i just invested a lot of money into a new boat and i dont feel like having that all go to hell because of an inferior tire that causes a blow out. im checking out new goodyears or titans today.

Homerr

Commander

Well, like some have said... It's a crap-shoot on which tires to use. All brands seem to have their horror stories.<br /><br />Just inspect them...OFTEN !<br /><br />H.

Homerr

Commander

UPDATE:<br /><br />I went ahead and purchased some GoodYear ST Marathon 8 ply radials. I might as well give them a shot. I haven't had much luck with other brands. <br />I'm on a single axle trailer at approx. 4300 lbs., so they should work nicely.<br /><br />Les Schwab replaced the Carlisle free of charge.<br />It had a very nasty seperation... No surprise from what I've read about them. I'm just glad I found it before I left this morning for the lake.<br /><br />I don't care for the Carlisle, but it saved me $80 on buying something else. Besides... the tire will be used for a spare only.<br /><br />Thanks for all the input.<br /><br />H.

2bfishing

Recruit

To 05GLASTRON RX and others who trailer some distance, I'll give you my 2cents worth of advive.<br />Buy a second spare tire and rim, toss it in the boat and carry it with on longer trips. I blew 2 Carlisle's on the way back from Kentucky Lake to Chicago. 250 miles from Chicago I blew the 1st one. Try to find a trailer tire on a Sunday in a small town, any town. I bought a passenger tire at a WalMart just to have a spare. Sure as heck<br />50 miles from Chicago the 2nd blew. Limped home at 10PM with a passenger tire on the trailer and no spare. It stinks and will not happen again.<br />For what we have all paid for our toys, we can afford a second spare. I replaced the Carlisle's with Marathon's. I do think the boat dealers ought to offer the option of tire types when putting together boat and trailer packages. Their experience should dictate to put the best tires<br />on the rigs they sell. Hopefully the market place will take care of Carlisle Tire's future.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> UPDATE:<br /><br /><br />I'm on a single axle trailer at approx. 4300 lbs., so they should work nicely.<br /><br />
Just a friendly suggestion here, but you might want to read the sidewall of your new tires. I could be wrong, but many are rated at 1,760 lbs each, so with a single axle you can only handle a 3,520 lb load with your new tires. If you're at 4,300 lbs, that's a possible reason for your tire failures...you maybe overloaded them. If my rig was that heavy, I think I'd want a tandem. Then again, you said they're 15 inch 8 ply, which is new to me, so maybe I'm wrong...but I know most common 14 inch trailer tires are rated at 1,760. Just make sure you check 'em.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to the Carlisle club. I had one start to separate, caught it and replaced it. Other side went out 250 miles later on a trip. Separation again. Probably had 2000 miles on them total. What junk !!!<br /><br />Craze1cars - he has 15 inch tires, and the 225 at that. I have the same tires. Rated for 2540 each,or 5080 total.

Homerr

Commander

Thanks for the heads up Craze1cars!<br /><br />The GoodYear Marathon tires say max load: 2540, so I'm good up to 5080. They are a load range D, 8 ply.<br /> <br />I've always ran this rating. Nothing less.<br />The Carlisle's had the same rating. 8 ply, 2540.<br /><br />The Carlisle is the only 'actual' failure I've had. I replaced the original Titan's that came with the boat because of sun damage. Who knows how long the trailer sat in the sun before I got it.<br /><br />Which brings a question... You'd think the dealer would at least put a cover on the tires that sit outside in their lot during the hot weather?<br /><br /><br />H.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Carlisle is the only brand offered by Champion Trailer. It's surprising that dealers are not leaving Carlisle in droves.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wonder, why do we see so much separation on trailer tires? Is the weight the problem? If so, why not bigger tires or double axle?<br /><br />I'm in the same situation - I am running 4000 load on 5080 rated tires. Not that I think I can find them, but would bigger, higher rated tires reduce my risks of failure?

NYMINUTE

Captain

8 ply Goodyear Marathons here too. Had identical issue w/ Carlise on one, and a blowout on another in the second year.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I'm running coopers now, Carisle's lasted almost 3 years but I would say only about 2500 miles. Complete blow out on the freeway, damaged the wheel well and busted the light. Major PITA.

Realgun

Commander

I don't care for the Carlisle, but it saved me $80 on buying something else.
Thats why Carlisle is still around cheap prices on their tires. So what if they only last a few seasons!<br /><br />Personally I was lucky I got loadstars for mine. I had a good dealer.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> UPDATE:<br /><br />I don't care for the Carlisle, but it saved me $80 on buying something else. Besides... the tire will be used for a spare only.<br /><br />H.
Of course, what is the cost of a blow-out on the road?

tommays

Admiral

i have to think that the DOT does not watch them that much<br /><br />if this was happening on a car like the firestone/explorer disaster i think they would be all over it<br /><br />or maybe people dont file a complainet because its a trailer ?

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

i recently talked to a well known trailer dealer in wisconsin and i had asked him about the new model "sport trail" carlisle tires which i have on my trailer nd what he told me suprised me. he said that these are good tires and will last you a long time if they are properly inflated and cared for. i think that im going to stick with the carlisles and see how they do. yes, i know there are some that will say that i am taking a risk, but i have less that 500 miles on the tires and the have no sign of treadwear or damage anywhere. im going toi be trailering my boat about 500 miles over the fourth of july so i guess well see how it goes. im going to make sure they are properly inflated as well.