no tail lights.....why?

bill10157

Cadet
i have a 7 pin to 4 pin...<br /><br />signal lights work. and stop lights work on trailer, but no tail lights. whats the problem?

tommays

Admiral
Re: no tail lights.....why?

lighting_dia.gif
wiring2.gif
<br /><br /><br /> http://www.easternmarine.com/em_showroom/tech_info/light_tech.html <br /><br />IF you have power getting to the light then the most common problem is a bad ground<br /><br />the key word is IF you need to be sure its getting all the way to the light<br /><br /><br /> tommays

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Corrosion is most common problem either in the socket, or where the common ground goes from the socket to the frame of trailer, I found that the trailer mfr. had used steel terminals on the grounds and they had corroded and were not making <br />contact with the frame. These type problems are most common, but if the stops work, bay be bulb or socket.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you hook the trailer up to another vehicle to help pinpoint the problem? I have the exact same problem on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's definitely not a problem with the trailer because my trailer works fine when hooked up to another vehicle. There's a component on my car called the power converter. It converts 7 wires down to 4 (I think). I think it might've gone bad.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check for a blown fuse in you vehicle. <br /><br />My dad had the same problem with brake lights and we found a blown fuse.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

First thing everyone should own is a 12 test light, if you don’t have one you will be lost from the start. Any auto parts store should have one $4 to $10 range. My 2 cents.