Non-V8 engine truck/SUV's that can tow > 5000 lbs

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Non-V8 engine truck/SUV's that can tow > 5000 lbs

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> There are no import car dealers within 55 miles of me, so that eliminates most of them.<br />The Explorers are ugly in my opinion.<br />Cousin bought a Buick Rainier a couple months ago, been in the shop half dozen times for some pretty serious stuff.<br />That leaves the Blazer. Trailblazer, and Liberty.<br />I keep the Blazer I have now, and will consider the Liberty when it needs replacing.
I think the Exploders are bland, the Trailblazer too busy and ugly. The best looking, I think, is the Envoy.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the way my Explorer Sport Trac tows my 3,000 lb 18 footer. I agree with the Toureg I have read some great things about the towing capacity and off road ability but you are looking at nearly $60 k and thats some big bucks!<br /><br />Word is that the new Sport Trac will be built on the Explorer platform in stead of the current Ranger frame that should improve it's overall manners.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a S-10 V6 Blazer and a 3/4ton Dodge Ram PU to tow my pontoon and 18 foot ski boat. The Blazer (2wd) actually pulls better than the Ram. The Ram will spin on the ramp and you can feel the dynamic forces of the trailer when going down the highway. Gas mileage on the Blazer is about 20 when not towing compared to 14 for the ram. I really don't think you need 4wd if you chose a Blazer. I have had to use 4wd on the Ram.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I pull a 23' CC with twin V4s on a tandem tlr with a 1993 Explorer Sport in flat south Florida. Ok for here but would like a bigger & heavier tow vehicle for long trips or hills.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Explorer has factory tow package rated at #6000, I tow a 20ft Wellcraft at #4800 Boat/trailer, truck is 4.0 V6 5speed auto, I get about 14-16 miles per CDN gallon towing without overdrive Truck has about 65000 miles on it, no problems at all.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

FWIW,<br /><br />The Isuzu assender is made by gm and is simply a rebadged trailblazer. Due to the low sales volumes they can be had a very very very deep discounts. In addition they can be serviced by GM's dealer network which we all know is extensive. In addition the parts can be purchased easily at the local parts store. If you are looking for a price point you may want to look at one of these.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

The Honda Ridgeline is rated for 5,000 lbs, and has a 255-hp, V-6 engine.

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with NateCCIE. Dodge RAM 4X4 4 door 6 ft bed Cummins I-6 Diesel. Add a cap for storage and a SUV-like look. Tow with it once and your mind will be made up.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Gary, Have you decided? <br /><br />I thought about getting a little smaller and efficient tow vehicle but the 3 mpg improvement (V6 explorer vs V8 expedition) would only save me $250 -$350 per year. Not willing to give up size and capability for $350/yr. <br /><br /><br />PS Change to my earlier post, The Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee has a cylinder deactivation system and gets 20 mpg almost as good as the V6.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Erm....my rattly old Daihatsu Fourtrak does between 22 and 30mpg and it's a 2.8 4cyl turbo diesel rated to tow 5500lbs...

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KM2:<br /> Gary, Have you decided?
I'm doing fine right now with the V8 5.9L 3.92 LSD rear PT4WD Durango. I have a lot of safety margin since my load is only 4000 lbs.<br /><br />I asked this question because I am always on the lookout for the next best thing and wondering if there is a "miracle" vehicle out there that does it all that would justify the switch from my 10-12 mpg towing and 14-16 mpg non-towing.<br /><br />I probably tow about 3000 miles a year with four 600 mile trips. The rest is made up of lots of short trips to the local lakes. The other 15K miles a year is put on it running the kids around and getting groceries.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

We won't get that "miracle" vehicle until somebody puts a diesel into a Durango, Explorer, envoy, f150.... <br /><br />Should be able to do 24 mpg highway and 17-18 towing. Plus have loads of torque.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have owned the Trailblazer, Astro, Chevy full size van V8, Ford 150 PU with a V6, Chevy 4X4 PU with V8 and some of the others, current one is the Trailblazer. I'm in sales and drive 50,000+ per year. <br />I just ordered another trailblazer.<br /><br />DON'T get the Astro, it killed me in repair costs. <br /><br />There wasn't much difference in mileage between the V6s and V8s, 3mpg max. I have not towed 5,000 with the Trailblazer yet, only around 3,500, but power wise, it feels like it would maxxed out before 5K. And it's hard to keep the gas tank full when towing, 12mpg if your lucky, I like it though. Go with a V8 if possible on any of these. All of them got around 20 mpg on the highway, V6, V8, stick, automatic, AWD, 4X4, 2X4, full size, medium size, it didn't make much of a difference.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I tow my 19' cuddy and my 17' travel trailer with my 1995 S-10 Blazer 4wd. I have had minimal problems, the 4.3L v-6 has decent power (w/203000). I get 17-19mpg with mixed driving and just used an entire tank of fuel exclusively towing my camper and then my boat, 12mpg. And I can drive it faster through curves on one particular road than I'm comfortable riding my motorcycle. Handles great for a truck.<br />I don't like the Trailblazer/Envoy/Ranier/etc and most people I hear from with them like (not love)them but have many problems, and wish for something better. And they say the mpg sucks. Stay away from the Liberty (my opinion) too small, too light, not a serious 4x4 IMHO, even if it is a Jeep.<br />If you're looking for a NEW tow vehicle, the one I'd be looking at (even though I think is is hideous) would be a quad cab Ram with the Cummins. Size, stability, durability (yeah right, like any new vehicle is built), power, and reasonable economy.

I have to agree with David. I drive a 2004.5 Ram Quad Cab with a CTD (Cummins Turbo Diesel). I have added a few electronic boxes to it. I now have around 450 HP, 900 ft-lbs of torque on an engine designed to go 350,000 miles before needing to be rebuilt. I also get 16 mpg - city and 20 mpg highway with a 7500 pound vehicle.<br /><br />As an added bonus, I get to pass unloaded V8 SUV's going up 6% grades pulling my 6,000 lb boat with my little 6 banger. :eek:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

David is right on the Trail blazer, it's not great, but it does most things well enough. Most of our sales guys drive them, they get replaced at 120,000 miles, no problems except for bad brake light sockets. We all re-ordered Trail Blazers. <br />Remember, garycinn is not looking for the ultimate tow rig, just something he can tow his boat with and use it for other things most of the time.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you considered the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab? It's badsically a durango with a bed. The 4.7L V8 or 3.7 V6 will definitely bring a MPG upgrade over that 5.9, and you wouldnt be sacrificing on the space you're used to in the Durango. I tow boats quite frequently with my 99 club cab, and it does really well, although I have the V8. I've heard good things about the V6 too, though I don't have any data for you. With the Quad Cab, you can haul the people you want, and you still get a 5.5 foot bed. Just another hat thrown in the ring.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2002 4x4 chevy tahoe, 5.7L v-8 with 275 hp tow/haul mode and is rated to pull 7,400#. My boat with gas and the trailer( which weighs about 1,000#) is about 6,300#. To me this is the best that the tahoe can pull safely. It can pull the rig but the mileage is really low. No idea about other suv's. Note also that the curb weight of the tow vehicle should match the weight of the rig. I have seen in my area where the durango's 4 tires just kept spinning cause it just couldn't raise the rig ouf of the ramp. The vehicle was too light for the rig's weight which multiplies when you are pulling upwards. <br /><br />You listed Nissan xterra to pull 5,000#. I just cannot believe how such a lightweight can pull 5,000#. I had a Nissan pathfinder V-8 and it had only 175 horses. I doubt it can really pull 6,000#, not for long. These 2 can probably pull on a straight course, but when it comes to stopping and when you hit bumby roads, I think their rear ends will jump as well. My tahoe's rear tires skid on light rain so I have to use all wheel drive or 4-HI. You definitely cannot underestimate downhill driving even if you have brakes on your trailer.<br /><br />My suggestion is get the biggest you can afford. You also never know when you want to upgrade your boat.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Much depends on where you need to pull your rig. I been plulling my 23' CC for 12 years with my 1993 Explorer Sport - - but I'm pulling in flat south Florida. No way would I tow my rig in the mountains.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Gary,<br /><br />DMX has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0l 5 cylinder diesel in Europe. Made by Mercedes with 218 hp and 376lbs of torque. I think that would make a great tow vehicle for loads less than 5k. No plans to bring to US or Canada yet! Problem is our (US) emissions regulations I think. We are getting "cleaner" diesel soon so we can hope. <br /><br /> :)