3 part awlgrip topside paint .......any good for a trailer

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class
got some awlgrip topside paint ....true polyurathane ...will it be any good over an epoxy zinc primer on a trailer that gets dipped in the salt water occasionaly..

tommays

Admiral
Re: 3 part awlgrip topside paint .......any good for a trailer

not and expert but unless you can find a metal primer made to work with awlgrip i think the results would be ????<br /><br />they have a help line and web site what do they recomend <br /><br />tommays

rwidman

Lieutenant

I would start by researching automobile or equipment paints such as used on farm equipment. Fit the paint to the job, not the job to the paint.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

i called and they said the three part awlgrip .is specificly made for southern california and there strict regulations....and they said awl grip should realy be applied by profesionals that know how to react to the paint conditions by adjusting the reducers etc..................come on guys i need your support i realy like this flag blue ...

tommays

Admiral

i have only done a lot of work with PPG urathane paints like there DCC which requires an two part etching primer then the color and then a clear coat<br /><br /><br />if you dont follow the steps and do all the coats within there recomended time you get strip the paint and start over<br /><br /><br /> <br />the point being that for there paint to work you need to follow there plan<br /><br />i could be worng but i dont thing awlgrip was even ment to be used on metal<br /><br />tommays

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

im using several layers of zinc chromate primer

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

three part meaning ,,,base,activator,reducer

tommays

Admiral

i understand about the parts but i dont think that you understand that the chemicals in the three part paint MAY OR MAY NOT LIKE YOUR PRIMER and if they dont like it it can act like a paint remover and bubble the primer or fail to stick to it<br /><br />you seam to want to do it so testing on some metal primed and painted with you paint is the only way to get and idea what is going to happen<br /><br />tommays