adjusting tounge weight....

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
how far back can i let my boat hang off the back end of the trailer bunks? I need to take some weight off the tounge, but am cautios as to how far is safe for the boat to hang off the rear. right now, the boat sits approx. 8"-12" off the rear of the bunks. i was thinking os sliding the winch stand back about another 4" and going from there.<br /> the trailer tounge is to heavy to lift as it is right now. as far as the tounge weight, i have no clue right now.<br /><br />thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: adjusting tounge weight....

You might be Much Better Off by Sliding the Axle Forward.........<br />Most manufactured trailers have some adjustability built in............<br /><br />Hanging the Boat Out Off the Bunks can cause Hull Deformations that can Ruin the hull...........

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

How about getting a tongue jack on your trailer then find how heavy the weight by using a bathroom scale. Move the boat forward until the bunks stick out past the transom 1 or 2 inches, then mov the axle forward until the hitch weight is 5% to 10% of the total weight of the boat, motor, and trailer. Having the boat hang over the bunks will wreck the hull

Triton II

Commander

Depending on the weight of the rig, you need around 115 - 160lbs of tongue weight to help stabilise the trailer. Use a jockey wheel (one that swivels through 90 degrees out of the way for convenience) to lift the tongue up and over the tow ball. Agree about the bunks position, ideally the bunks should support the hull to within a couple of inches of the transom.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I did this recently with mine, I added 8 rollers to the rear to better support it, and now the boat is about 5" further back (rollers come right to the transom like they should). This made the tongue too light by about 100 lbs, so I moved the axle back by an equal amount, now it is about 210 lbs (3500 lb load) so it is around 6% which is on the low end of acceptable. You can measure tongue wts under 300 lbs by putting a jackstand (put a piece of plywood on the scale first) on a bathroom scale, zero the scale and measure. First you need to know how much the whole thing weighs of course. I just used a floor jack and moved the axle back 1" at a time until it was right.

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks....i'l try the scales then go from there. I am however worried about the hull hanging off the bunks. looks like i need to do some severe adjusting of the trailer all around.

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

new twist on tounge weight issue...i was wrong with my measurements on the trailer bunks. I actually have another 3" of free bunk space to move the hull back on. (the bunks are 3" further back than the hull). i measured the tounge weight and got 270lbs. the boat weighs 3400(all gear included) which is approx. 8-9% is this ok? what do you think about moving the boat back on the trailer until the transon sits flush with the bunks? you reckon that may take another 75lbs or so off the tounge? i,m tired of seeing my rear end sag so much!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Go with Overload Springs or Air Shocks...........<br /><br />You're about at the Minimun % now.........<br /><br />7% to 15% will keep it from Swaying.......<br />
the trailer tounge is to heavy to lift as it is right now
That's Too Light,....... Get a Trailer Jack.............

rwidman

Lieutenant

Boat trailers should have a tongue weight of between 5% and 8% tongue weight fully loaded with tandem axle trailers at the low end of the range. This is less than the recomendation for travel or utility trailers because of height, shape, loading, etc. The trailer should be level when attached to the tow vehicle. <br /><br />The transom of the boat should be fully supported by the rollers or bunks. There is no advantage in having the bunks extend past the transom, in fact this can cause problems launching and loading and can damage trim tabs if your boat has them.<br /><br />The best way to set up a boat trailer is to get the boat in the correct position on the trailer (transom and rollers/bunks line up) and then adjust the position of the axle(s) for correct tongue weight.

JWood

Cadet

Originally posted by k5ranger:<br /> ..... i,m tired of seeing my rear end sag so much!!!
What are you towing with ?<br />I can't imagine 270lb of weight squating my truck much at all.

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

93 leep GCL w/ tow package. it's either fix the trailer or buy new coil springs or air bags for the jeep.