trailer tire - tube or new rim?

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Old tire cracked and was replaced<br /><br />new tire, leaks air<br /><br />I did some slime but it still leaks<br /><br />Slow leak, maybe 3 weeks before getting low, but still a hassle<br /><br />Can you put a tube in a radial?<br /><br />Or just replace the rim?<br /><br />Tell you the truth a new tire and rim from wally world is almost as cheap as the tire itself!!<br /><br />thanks!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: trailer tire - tube or new rim?

The rim may be rusty causing a leak, or the tire valve may be leaking. You didn't mention if the valve was replaced.<br /><br />What size/load range?

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wallyworld sells Carlyle tires made in Mexico and they are junk. I put a new one on a month ago and it is flat without ever leaving the house. New rim and all. Slow,seep thru the sidewall. Replaced one two years old just like that had the same kind of leak. Have Denmans on another trailer and they are great.

Snookster

Seaman

I'm not a tire pro---- I've just bought a boat load of tires over the years for trucks & trailors --- my service fleet is 64<br /><br />I have installed tubes in every kind of tire succesfully. Not sure if thats a tire phopa but hav'nt killed anybody yet.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

they make radial tubes for radial tires. what ever you do don't put a bias tube in a radial tire.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

We used tubes in our right side tires on the dirt tracks due to low air. Keep it dry inside and maybe even some baby powder to help it "seat" and you'll be fine.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Trailers.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tube is the answer, besides at some of the pressures trailer tyres run on it can be better for the tyres as well to have a tube. Baby powder is a great idea!<br />Ross

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

its just a utility trailer 1,500 lb axles, bought it used and the old tires were dry rotted.<br /><br />I will go the tube route! Thanks!<br /><br />Now i posted it in general topics as this is NOT a boat trailer, just a utility trailer..

rwidman

Lieutenant

I would replace both tires on an axle at the same time with identical tires (and rims if necessary). You could have a rusted rim, bad valve, or valve stem.<br /><br />Without good tires you do not have a safe and reliable trailer.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Sounds like a rim leak, then can be cleaned if not damaged.