Launched boat without bearing buddy cover.

kinsmen

Cadet
It is not worth it to find out the hard way. Take the bearing out and re-pack them. Replace the lost buddy bearings and then go fishing.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Launched boat without bearing buddy cover.

Bassndude,<br /><br />Is it the Bearing Buddy Bra you're talking about - or the whole Bearing Buddy itself?<br /><br />If it's just the bra - no harm done. They're only a cosmetic cover. If it's the whole shebang - get a replacement, check the bearing itself to see if the grease still covers and protects it. If any water's got near it, replace the bearing also.<br /><br />Cheaper than a highway breakdown later.<br /><br />Ciao

bassndude112

Cadet
Launched boat without bearing buddy cover.

Hi all,<br /><br />My bearing buddy covers popped off during my last trip to the lake. I can only assume that I launched the boat without it. Should I assume that water reached the bearings? If so, should I be concerned? I'm assuming that if it did, that it would've dried out over Summer, but I guess you know what they say about people who assume. Thanks in advance for any responses. :) <br /><br />-Bassndude

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Agree with stillfishing...just the covers are no biggie. I don't even have them on my 20 footer, and I launch in salt. There like tire valve caps. Unless, but fun to collect!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I know what I do is overkill but I make a habbit of pumping grease into the buddies before I leave the house and again just before the trailer hits the water and again just after the trailer comes out of the water.I have been told that when the wheels are submerged after traveling a while they are hot and the cool water creates a vaccum upon the rapid cooling so I grease and then grease again.New hubs 3 years ago,bearing buddies and covers and no problems yet.Charlie

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br />I make a habbit of pumping grease into the buddies before I leave the house and again just before the trailer hits the water and again just after the trailer comes out of the water.
Be carefull not to put too much grease in or it can leak out the rear seal. The instructions that come with them explain how much grease should be used.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never had rubber covers over my bearing buddies, have been launching in both salt and fresh for five years, no problems. [yet]

bassndude112

Cadet

Hi all,<br /><br />Thanks for the quick responses. It helped me feel more comfortable about going on my fishing trip yesterday. :) <br /><br />-Bassndude

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by rwidman:<br />
Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br />I make a habbit of pumping grease into the buddies before I leave the house and again just before the trailer hits the water and again just after the trailer comes out of the water.
Be carefull not to put too much grease in or it can leak out the rear seal. The instructions that come with them explain how much grease should be used.
Well said, I was the victim of over greasing a few years back. It seems to make sense to grease often, but there is a fine line.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I used to worry all the time about my trailer bearings going bad on the road due to not enough grease or water in the grease so I bought a set of hubs that use gear lube to lubricate the bearings. The caps are made of translucent plastic so you can see the level of the gear lube or if it is emulsified with water. I love them.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One thing I have found when using the Bra covers, is that you need to take them off when you get home & rinse off any salt water that gets inside. And surely don't let them set over the winter with the covers on.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm afraid that the truth is.... well, your entire trailer is terminal. Once you commit this sin.... well just replace the entire trailer and be at peace with the bearing gods. You will find closure and your boat will be much more stable.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What I can't work out is - if Crazy Charlie greases his hubs three or four times on every outing, where does all this grease go? <br /><br />Once a year man, me - and even then the lever on the gun hardly moves.<br /><br />Maybe there are some trailers with hollow frames connected directly to the wheel hubs! That's real corrosion-resistance!