Hitch ball hight ... is there a standard ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day,

I wonder if there is a standard hight (from ground) of the ball mounted on a hitch ? Or is it a question of vehicule hight vs trailer type. Tx

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hitch ball hight ... is there a standard ?

You need to use the correct size drop for the trailer to ride level.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Hitch ball height can vary by trailer. The key is for the trailer to ride level, just as Gary stated...

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tow 6 different trailers and have 5 different drops for it to fit my truck. They make my trailers ride level. My wife is tired of seeing all my balls lying around the garage!!!!!!!!

Fun Times

Staff member

Good day,

I wonder if there is a standard hight (from ground) of the ball mounted on a hitch ? Or is it a question of vehicule hight vs trailer type. Tx
The most important thing is to get the trailer to ride level, But the average hight normaly seems to come in at around 18 to almost 19 inches sometimes from the ground to the top of the ball not hooked up to the trailer, Then try to level it out from there if needed.:)

woosterken

Lieutenant

pecheux,

like the others said you want the trailer level, here is the chart that came with my hitch
to figure it out...........

Scan10003.jpg

woosterken

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife is tired of seeing all my balls lying around the garage!!!!!!!!
at least there not in her purse

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Trailer should ride level. Bottom line. One reason it is difficult to tow directly off the bumper in most cases.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

I have an adjustable type that goes up or down with a wrench, and ball's are a quickchange with the spin of a flat screw. Saves Much aggrevation..

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you guys ... all of your explanations say it all. Woodsterken: thank you for the picture.

Jeep Man

Commander

I tow 6 different trailers and have 5 different drops for it to fit my truck. They make my trailers ride level. My wife is tired of seeing all my balls lying around the garage!!!!!!!!

Really tempting.......But I am not going there.

reelfishin

Captain

While most trailers do vary, I'd have to say the average tow height of most is about 18".
Boat trailers often vary by tire size though, the key is often to get the boat as low as possible, this means that the tongue is often pretty low.

I have 12 boat trailers, all but one tows at 18" give or take a 1/2" or so. The same for most of my utility trailers.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I was always under the impression that the height should be at a point where you will achieve approx. 10% of the gross weight of trailer load on the ball. This is critical in how the trailer will "ride" behind your vehicle. Too much weight on the ball is not good but too little can be downright dangerous.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I was always under the impression that the height should be at a point where you will achieve approx. 10% of the gross weight of trailer load on the ball. This is critical in how the trailer will "ride" behind your vehicle. Too much weight on the ball is not good but too little can be downright dangerous.

Tounge weight and tow ball height are two completely seperate things...

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

pecheux,

like the others said you want the trailer level, here is the chart that came with my hitch
to figure it out...........

Scan10003.jpg

woosterken

My original setup was as per the right hand side pic. The tongue was low but the boat was straight. Then on a rainy day I realise water would not empty via the rear outlet so I swithed to the left hand side setup ... Now the boat noses up but the trailer is leaning back slightly ... enough for the water to exit. I think I may need a straight hitch bar to make everthing even. Tx

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

A new drawbar is a cheap fix.
And really when trailer is not hitched you store it bow up for good draining.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A new drawbar is a cheap fix.
And really when trailer is not hitched you store it bow up for good draining.

This small boat kit lives an easy cat like life ... sleeps in the garage ... LOL