Hitch ball hight ... is there a standard ?

ifishinri

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hitch ball hight ... is there a standard ?

AND remember one more thing guys !! Most 2" drawbars (Reese, Putnam, Drawtite etc.) are rated for 5000# of trailer weight and 500# of tongue weight. More weight than that and you should be using a ball mount. Also make sure your ball is rated high enough. That can vary depending on the diameter of the threaded portion of the hitch ball. AND always use a lock washer. Lastly check the tightness of your nut frequently. A properly sized wrench to fit your balls will cost you $10.00 at Harbor Freight.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

AND remember one more thing guys !! Most 2" drawbars (Reese, Putnam, Drawtite etc.) are rated for 5000# of trailer weight and 500# of tongue weight. More weight than that and you should be using a ball mount.

What is the difference...???

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

yea, please explain what is the difference in a drawbar versus ball mount.

ifishinri

Seaman Apprentice

A "drawbar" is a piece of 2" usually hollow square tubing with a "tongue" welded onto it into which you place the ball and tighten it with a lock washer and nut. Usually rated 5000# of trailer weight and 500# of tongue weight.

A "ball mount" is used with weight distributing bars. It has a solid bar which goes into your trucks receiver and will carry more weight.

HOWEVER: Most trucks receivers are rated 500# dead weight carrying and 1000# weight distribution. Check the label on your truck's receiver hitch and see !!! Which is the weakest link in your towing chain ???

I am off to work. I will post some links that may clarify this later tonight or tomorrow.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

A "drawbar" is a piece of 2" usually hollow square tubing with a "tongue" welded onto it into which you place the ball and tighten it with a lock washer and nut. Usually rated 5000# of trailer weight and 500# of tongue weight.

A "ball mount" is used with weight distributing bars. It has a solid bar which goes into your trucks receiver and will carry more weight.

HOWEVER: Most trucks receivers are rated 500# dead weight carrying and 1000# weight distribution. Check the label on your truck's receiver hitch and see !!! Which is the weakest link in your towing chain ???

I am off to work. I will post some links that may clarify this later tonight or tomorrow.

Huh, Must be a regional terminology thing as the two terms virtually refer to the same thing industry wide.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that was incorrect..... they are indeed the same thing...... I think his intention though was that you need to make sure that your components are all up to the weight.... ball mounts are available in tube or solid construction with ratings up to and beyond 18,000 lbs.... they can be made of many different materials and in many different styles

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Accoring to Reese, they are the same thing. When you look on thier site at the Draw Bars, they are refered to as Ball Mounts.

However, I can relate to what he is saying in relation to weight distribution. With a WD hitch setup, the drawbar is usually composed of two parts. The Ball Mount and the Shank. The ball mount is usually bolted to the shank as the shank is set to be adjustable in height and the shank is solid, rather than hollow tube of normal drawbars (ball mounts).

That said, I disagree with his ratings of the hollow ball mounts... I have a B&W Tow and Stow on my truck with 2" & 2 5/16 ball on it. It has a hollow tube to insert into the receiver and it is rated for 1000 lb tounge weight and 10,000 gross trailer weight...

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The ball seems to be the weak link most of the time.
And you have to be careful when selecting the ball as not all ball sizes with the same diameter and the same threaded shank have the same ratings.
They vary all over the place.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Jeeperman is right. Besides the diameter, you also have to watch the shank size.
I know that 2" balls can have either a 3/4" shank or a 1" shank, rated for 4k lbs or 6k lbs if I remember correctly.

Be sure to check the rating stamped on top of the ball. And get one rated high enough for your rig.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Heck I found the spread to be worse then that.
2" ball on 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4" dia. shanks.
And trailer pulling weight ratings from 3500lbs to 10,000lbs.

Convert=A-Ball boasts that there interchangable ball stainless steel units on a 1" shank are good for 10,000lb GTW.
10k, with 1" shank in stainless steel which is generally not as strong as carbon steel.
Beats me how a two piece 1" shank ss 2" ball can be rated higher than a solid one piece steel 1-1/4" shank 2" ball.

Must be some good heat treating there or something.