Q about electric winch cable

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
I have an electric winch with a pulley block, it's the type where you attach the very end of the cable back near the winch post and attach a hook with a pulley on it to the bow eye, doubling your leverage. Where are you supposed to attach the end of the cable to get the best pull angle on the cable? If I attach below the winch I can't pull the bow eye right up to the roller, and if I attach above the winch I will chew up my bow roller with the cable.<br /><br />Help! this freakin boat is heavy!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Q about electric winch cable

Mine goes just under the winch on the slanted upright with the hook (end of line) in a hole. The single bow roller has been replaced with two plates about a foot and a half by 3 inches. The hole in the center of these 2 plates has a bolt that goes through where the old roller went. Now on the ends of these plates are bolted through rubber V blocks that do the duty of holding the boat tight against the winch upright. On mine, the pulley block and eye now ride just above that middle bolt (where the roller was). Get what I am trying to say? Mine is a older Caukins, and you also might check some boatyards and see what some have as setups. Hope this helps.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I see. I've seen that kind of bow stop now that I think of it. <br /><br />No matter, I tried the winch out last night and it blew the 50A fuse in the power line in about 0.5 seconds. Too much boat for this winch I think. Worked fine with my last boat.<br /><br />Thanks!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Steve Huminski:<br /> blew the 50A fuse in the power line in about 0.5 seconds. Too much boat for this winch I think. Worked fine with my last boat.<br />Thanks!
Really? What is it, one of those that Harbor Freight sells for $49.95? I have one on my 20 footer, and works great. On my 5000lb Bayliner on rollers, its one of those slow, old cream colored winches. Wears a battery out before its all the way on, and thats only maybe 10-15 feet.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It's an old powerwinch. Olive green colored. When I blew the fuse I had the cable directly to the bow eye without the pulley. With the pulley it may work. Can't get a good pull though without that special bow roller above. I'll stick with the manual one for now.