mirror to back up to tongue

kenwitt

Seaman Apprentice
Is there a special mirror for SUV to see ball when backing up?<br /><br />Tx for help its appreciated ken

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mirror to back up to tongue

Haven't tried this yet, but had idea of getting a magnetic base and attaching a stick to it. One to put on top of the receiver hear the ball and the other next to the hitch on the trailer.<br /><br />The idea is that when the hitch is over the ball the tops of the sticks would just barely touch, and they would be visible through the rear window.<br /><br />Just a thought.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Both of your ideas are available commercially.<br />Not sure what they are called, but I've seen them.<br />They seem to use telescoping antenna type rods for easy storage.

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cabelas sells a mirror that mounts on top of the tailgate of a pickup that lets you see the ball and hitch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hitch Finder (find it on eBay) works great and costs only a few bux.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dido on Hitch Finder. I bought one for my dad as a Christmas gift and then ended up buying one for myself earlier this summer.<br /><br /><br />Kevin

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Jack L:<br /> Haven't tried this yet, but had idea of getting a magnetic base and attaching a stick to it. One to put on top of the receiver hear the ball and the other next to the hitch on the trailer.Just a thought.
Thats exactly what I have been doing for years. Old CB antenna base on top on the ball, and I drilled and tapped the very front lip of the hitch 1/4-20 and screw in a 3 foot threaded rod

DustyJacket

Seaman

I saw one (was it is the Boating magazine or a West Marine catalog?) which had a mirror that hung on a tailgate or the window of an SUC, and allowed the driver to look right doen on top of the hitch.

Capt.Skid

Cadet

I use a 5x8 inch mirror, like a p/u truck side mirror replacement. I fashoned a strap to it and slide over my wench stand. I drive a GMC Surburban<br />with the barn doors and it works well. Makes hooking up by yourself a breeze.<br />Capt.Skid

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

My ball is lower than the bumper so I could not see it when hooking up the trailer. Always had to call someone to guide me and it was always a problem even with a guide. So I cut the bottom of a 12 oz soda and put it center on the ball. With my rear door open I could see the neck of the soda bottle and I use this as a guide to center the ball to the tongue. Always back up straight and you will get it under the center of the tongue within 2 attempts with practice. Better than any mirror! Couldn't hook up without it and I always carry a spare soda in the truck in case I get thirsty too. Always grease up the ball before actually hooking up. My last ball was all scratched up and rusted. Now it's always smooth and shiny since I put grease.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by milkyway:<br /> So I cut the bottom of a 12 oz soda and put it center on the ball. With my rear door open I could see the neck of the soda bottle and I use this as a guide to center the ball to the tongue.
Excellent idea! but in the south that would be a "Coke" bottle, no matter if it's a Dr. Pepper, Sprite or Big Red coke!<br /><br />thanks,<br />jw