• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

mirror to back up to tongue

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirror to back up to tongue

Is there a special mirror for SUV to see ball when backing up?Tx for help its appreciated ken

Re: mirror to back up to tongue

Haven't tried this yet, but had idea of getting a magnetic base and attaching a stick to it. One to put on top of the receiver hear the ball and the other next to the hitch on the trailer.The idea is that when the hitch is over the ball the tops of the sticks would just barely touch, and they would be visible through the rear window.Just a thought.

Comment

Both of your ideas are available commercially.Not sure what they are called, but I've seen them.They seem to use telescoping antenna type rods for easy storage.

Comment

******* sells a mirror that mounts on top of the tailgate of a pickup that lets you see the ball and hitch.

Comment

Hitch Finder (find it on eBay) works great and costs only a few bux.
          sigpic

Comment

Dido on Hitch Finder. I bought one for my dad as a Christmas gift and then ended up buying one for myself earlier this summer.Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Jack L: Haven't tried this yet, but had idea of getting a magnetic base and attaching a stick to it. One to put on top of the receiver hear the ball and the other next to the hitch on the trailer.Just a thought.
              Thats exactly what I have been doing for years. Old CB antenna base on top on the ball, and I drilled and tapped the very front lip of the hitch 1/4-20 and screw in a 3 foot threaded rod

Comment

here is where you find the Hitch Finder on line http://www.hitchfinder.net/buy.htm I think a mirror would be better

Comment

I saw one (was it is the Boating magazine or a West Marine catalog?) which had a mirror that hung on a tailgate or the window of an SUC, and allowed the driver to look right doen on top of the hitch.

Comment

I use a 5x8 inch mirror, like a p/u truck side mirror replacement. I fashoned a strap to it and slide over my wench stand. I drive a GMC Surburbanwith the barn doors and it works well. Makes hooking up by yourself a breeze.Capt.Skid

Comment

My ball is lower than the bumper so I could not see it when hooking up the trailer. Always had to call someone to guide me and it was always a problem even with a guide. So I cut the bottom of a 12 oz soda and put it center on the ball. With my rear door open I could see the neck of the soda bottle and I use this as a guide to center the ball to the tongue. Always back up straight and you will get it under the center of the tongue within 2 attempts with practice. Better than any mirror! Couldn't hook up without it and I always carry a spare soda in the truck in case I get thirsty too. Always grease up the ball before actually hooking up. My last ball was all scratched up and rusted. Now it's always smooth and shiny since I put grease.

Comment

Originally posted by milkyway: So I cut the bottom of a 12 oz soda and put it center on the ball. With my rear door open I could see the neck of the soda bottle and I use this as a guide to center the ball to the tongue.
                        Excellent idea! but in the south that would be a "Coke" bottle, no matter if it's a Dr. Pepper, Sprite or Big Red coke!thanks,jw
                        It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

Working...
                        X