Staples for pressure treated wood?

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

Need to redo my bunks, went to buy some staples.

The stainless steel package states not for marine use and the monel staples say do not use on presure treated wood. Is the presure trested wood they sell now adays different from the chenicals used of old? I seem to remember the reading presure treated wood will corode any metal or at least the old wood would.

jgregory01

Seaman
Re: Staples for pressure treated wood?

Ha...same thing I am dealing with. I bought some #2 treated wood yesterday and my staples were not big enough. They were T50's which are i think 3/8th inch. I need longer staples. That is a good question though..what kind to use...steele or not?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

generally 304 or 316 type ss staples or hot dip galvanized nails are recommended.

I prefer the old fashioned big flat head hot dipped roofing nails.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Copper roofing nails used to fasten flashing last for years!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yeah copper as I understand it does not react to the modern PT treatments
I wonder if some sort of plastic fastener would be practical.Or maybe a really good glue.With glue the PT would have to be well dried.
There are some new alternative PT treatments that are more friendly.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah copper as I understand it does not react to the modern PT treatments
I wonder if some sort of plastic fastener would be practical.Or maybe a really good glue.With glue the PT would have to be well dried.
There are some new alternative PT treatments that are more friendly.
The "toxic" PT went out of consumer use in 2003. The more people friendly PT is now sold at Lowes and Home Depot, etc.
You can still find the good stuff elsewhere for marine use and industrial uses, etc.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Copper from what I know.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Come on. Because the box says "not for marine use" you aren't going to use it for carpeting bunks?? Last I checked a trailer doesn't float. Are you going to leave your trailer subnerged in the water all the time? Just use the stainless and be done with it.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Ha...same thing I am dealing with. I bought some #2 treated wood yesterday and my staples were not big enough. They were T50's which are i think 3/8th inch. I need longer staples. That is a good question though..what kind to use...steele or not?

T50 staples come in different lengths.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come on. Because the box says "not for marine use" you aren't going to use it for carpeting bunks?? Last I checked a trailer doesn't float. Are you going to leave your trailer subnerged in the water all the time? Just use the stainless and be done with it.

This is salt water after all, even the trailer corodes never mind a thin piece of metal like a staple will get eaten up right quick if not done right. The wood in the bunks stays wet for days im sure and there has been times I have come back after 8-10 of fishing and the carpet is still damp.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all I will use the T50, stainless steel, and a good outdoor carpet glue. I have 4 10ft bunks and want to use a electric stapler its way to much for a hand powered stapler and to much for me to use nails I think.

htv

Seaman

Today's most common treating process is ACQ which replaced the CCA process. ACQ is very corrosive to carbon steel and aluminum. Copper should work fine as it is one of the primary elements of ACQ. Listing fasteners you can use from best to worse are stainless, ceramic coated, hot dipped galvanized, electro-galvanized. A bright common nail will only last a few months before corroding away. Also be aware of things like zinc plated hinges or joist hangers in contact with treated wood as they will deteriorate in no time.
T-50 staples are available form 1/4" to 9/16" but have only seen stainless and monel in 3/8' and 1/2". I feel either will last as long as the carpet you use. Hey if not, just staple it again. :cool:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

This is salt water after all, even the trailer corodes never mind a thin piece of metal like a staple will get eaten up right quick if not done right. The wood in the bunks stays wet for days im sure and there has been times I have come back after 8-10 of fishing and the carpet is still damp.

So, like I said, put the stainless in and be done because stainless will be the best in that situation anyway. If the carpet starts to come loose it isn't all going to come off at once. put some more in when you see a loose spot.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have redone bunks numerous times on different trailers but per trailer, only had to do it once. I don't use carpet because wet wood is slicker and without carpet the bunks dry out much faster and reduce the opportunity for rot.

Since wet wood is slicker than the fiberous carpet, the opportunity to scratch your hull as the boat moves over the bunks is highly reduced.

So, if you forgo the carpet, you saved those bucks and don't have to worry about what type of fasteners to use.

And if you don't like the looks of bare treated pine, get yourself a can of black spray paint, with some of that money you saved (grin).

Mark

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

or use cypress wood and you do not have to worry about what that ACQ treated wood will eat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

And if you don't like the looks of bare treated pine, get yourself a can of black spray paint, with some of that money you saved (grin).

Yeah I'll get right on putting my freshly painted white boat on some black painted 2x4s.....

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I don't use carpet because wet wood is slicker and without carpet the bunks dry out much faster and reduce the opportunity for rot.

Since wet wood is slicker than the fiberous carpet, the opportunity to scratch your hull as the boat moves over the bunks is highly reduced.

So, if you forgo the carpet, you saved those bucks and don't have to worry about what type of fasteners to use.

Mark

So does your boat float off the bunks before it slides back at all? If it slides a little bit before it floats 100%, those dry boards are scrapping the hull when you launch.
But everyone has limits of what they will tolerate and I have seen many naked bunks.
The boats usually look neglected all over. But that is cool too cause fancy paint and chrome will not help anything run better or be more reliable.
Well maybe shinny paint on the boat below the waterline will help it go thru the water easier if your going 100mph, LOL.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I'll get right on putting my freshly painted white boat on some black painted 2x4s.....

Ok, suit yourself, paint them white or pink or purple or what suits your fancy. Your stuff, makes absolutely no difference to me.

shepster

Cadet

I've redone my bunks a couple of times and used the 1/2" stainless staples and they last even using it in the salt water

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Monel staples in mhy T-50 stapler quite successfully on PT bunks to hold carpet in place. Also used them on my homebrew guide boards. The carpet is beginning to wear thru, but the staples are holding true.