• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staples for pressure treated wood?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staples for pressure treated wood?

Hi all,

Need to redo my bunks, went to buy some staples.

The stainless steel package states not for marine use and the monel staples say do not use on presure treated wood. Is the presure trested wood they sell now adays different from the chenicals used of old? I seem to remember the reading presure treated wood will corode any metal or at least the old wood would.

Re: Staples for pressure treated wood?

Ha...same thing I am dealing with. I bought some #2 treated wood yesterday and my staples were not big enough. They were T50's which are i think 3/8th inch. I need longer staples. That is a good question though..what kind to use...steele or not?

Comment

generally 304 or 316 type ss staples or hot dip galvanized nails are recommended.

I prefer the old fashioned big flat head hot dipped roofing nails.

Comment

Copper roofing nails used to fasten flashing last for years!
        If you can read this thank a teacher.If you can read it in english THANK A VETERAN

Comment

Yeah copper as I understand it does not react to the modern PT treatments
          I wonder if some sort of plastic fastener would be practical.Or maybe a really good glue.With glue the PT would have to be well dried.
          There are some new alternative PT treatments that are more friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by steelespike View Post
            Yeah copper as I understand it does not react to the modern PT treatments
            I wonder if some sort of plastic fastener would be practical.Or maybe a really good glue.With glue the PT would have to be well dried.
            There are some new alternative PT treatments that are more friendly.
            The "toxic" PT went out of consumer use in 2003. The more people friendly PT is now sold at Lowes and Home Depot, etc.
            You can still find the good stuff elsewhere for marine use and industrial uses, etc.

Comment

Copper from what I know.
              sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Come on. Because the box says "not for marine use" you aren't going to use it for carpeting bunks?? Last I checked a trailer doesn't float. Are you going to leave your trailer subnerged in the water all the time? Just use the stainless and be done with it.
                1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
                My build thread
                My upholstery thread

Comment

Originally posted by jgregory01 View Post
                  Ha...same thing I am dealing with. I bought some #2 treated wood yesterday and my staples were not big enough. They were T50's which are i think 3/8th inch. I need longer staples. That is a good question though..what kind to use...steele or not?
                  T50 staples come in different lengths.
                  "A manual is a cheap investment"
                  Fair Winds and Following Seas
                  Bill
                  PTC USN ret

Comment

Originally posted by 109jb View Post
                    Come on. Because the box says "not for marine use" you aren't going to use it for carpeting bunks?? Last I checked a trailer doesn't float. Are you going to leave your trailer subnerged in the water all the time? Just use the stainless and be done with it.

This is salt water after all, even the trailer corodes never mind a thin piece of metal like a staple will get eaten up right quick if not done right. The wood in the bunks stays wet for days im sure and there has been times I have come back after 8-10 of fishing and the carpet is still damp.

Comment

Thanks all I will use the T50, stainless steel, and a good outdoor carpet glue. I have 4 10ft bunks and want to use a electric stapler its way to much for a hand powered stapler and to much for me to use nails I think.

Comment

Today's most common treating process is ACQ which replaced the CCA process. ACQ is very corrosive to carbon steel and aluminum. Copper should work fine as it is one of the primary elements of ACQ. Listing fasteners you can use from best to worse are stainless, ceramic coated, hot dipped galvanized, electro-galvanized. A bright common nail will only last a few months before corroding away. Also be aware of things like zinc plated hinges or joist hangers in contact with treated wood as they will deteriorate in no time.
                        T-50 staples are available form 1/4" to 9/16" but have only seen stainless and monel in 3/8' and 1/2". I feel either will last as long as the carpet you use. Hey if not, just staple it again.

Comment

Originally posted by henrye718 View Post
                          This is salt water after all, even the trailer corodes never mind a thin piece of metal like a staple will get eaten up right quick if not done right. The wood in the bunks stays wet for days im sure and there has been times I have come back after 8-10 of fishing and the carpet is still damp.
                          So, like I said, put the stainless in and be done because stainless will be the best in that situation anyway. If the carpet starts to come loose it isn't all going to come off at once. put some more in when you see a loose spot.
                          1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
                          My build thread
                          My upholstery thread

Comment

I have redone bunks numerous times on different trailers but per trailer, only had to do it once. I don't use carpet because wet wood is slicker and without carpet the bunks dry out much faster and reduce the opportunity for rot.

Since wet wood is slicker than the fiberous carpet, the opportunity to scratch your hull as the boat moves over the bunks is highly reduced.

So, if you forgo the carpet, you saved those bucks and don't have to worry about what type of fasteners to use.

And if you don't like the looks of bare treated pine, get yourself a can of black spray paint, with some of that money you saved (grin).

Mark
                            If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

or use cypress wood and you do not have to worry about what that ACQ treated wood will eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X