Any thoughts about those teflon bunk slides?

vicman

Seaman Apprentice
I recently bought a Rinker 192, and its a little harder to get it to slide all the way up on the trailer. Our local ramp is pretty steep and I just haven't found the sweet spot in the water for the trailer when we put the boat back on. It seems I have to use more power than I did previously with a bass boat to get it all the way up on the trailer. Someone I know recommended those teflon slides that mount to the bunks of the trailer, but I don't know anyone who uses them. Any thoughts?

Philster

Captain
Re: Any thoughts about those teflon bunk slides?

I use them. I like them. Couple of seasoned launch-and-retrieve guys made it a point to note how good my trailer is and how well the teflon bunk slides perform.

Boat zips right up the bunks, even with little water for buoyancy. I don't get to dunk my trailer very far. The ramp I use is just enough water to launch and retrieve, so the teflon slides are doing most of the work.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

They definitely work as advertised.

You might want to try some bunk spray first, and see how much that will make your retrieval easier. If you like the results, you can just continue buying the spray or do it once with the plastic glides.

Happy boating!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Vicman, I have not used them, but heard good things about them. One of the members here had a habit of completely untieing the boat before backing down (winch strap as well) then launching. After installing the teflon slides, he lost the boat on the ram because it slid so easily...

I can't find the thread where the member talked about it happening to him, but they work great...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Don't buy the thin strips like Bass Pro and others sell.They suck!

I put a set on my trailer and can push the boat off with one hand...They are great.The boats loads 10 times better too.

I bought these,great product and very good price.
http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....they ARE super slick and make loading/unloading, especially a heavy hull, quite easy.
As previously mentioned, ensure that, at least, the safety chain is attached BEFORE backing down to unload!!!! And, these strips are still quite slick even when dry, therefore, transom straps, properly winched boweye and bow chain become quite mandatory...if you like your boat staying put during harsh manuvering.
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone hear any issues of hull scratching or anything from the teflon?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Anyone hear any issues of hull scratching or anything from the teflon?

No more than sand and dirt that gets imbedded in the bunk carpet... Probably less because the water will wash them off easier as soon as the trailer is splashed...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I'd personally rather have teflon slides than rollers to fix your issue....lots of hull support etc...

sounds like the slides are perfect for your needs Ill try em on our 23' boat once we splash her and see how she loads...if its difficult Ill try m too

our ramps on Lake Mead are kinda steep too.....its either a floating boat or a hard to load boat....uuuhhg RAMPS! itd be nice if they actually had it right on the angle of the ramp...

Philster

Captain

No scratch issues to report.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No scratches at all with mine. The wide ones do a great job and conformed to the curve in the bunks.

sfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

has anyone tried these with a pontoon?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

How did you fasten them?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

How did you fasten them?

The ones i bought screwed on with stainless screws.Took all of 15 minutes.
The screws are included and recessed in the bunk slides so the heads will no way come in contact with the hull.
I have owned the other brands but the Surfix are built the best and they can cut them to the exact length if you need them to.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sfy i have them on all 4 bunks on my toon. can drive up all the way to the bow stop. back right off also.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I used the Surfix units too. But I only used them on the forward 1/4th to 1/3rd of the bunks.
The front 54 inches since they come in that length.
When loading at the ramp the front is where all the friction happens when loading mine at our favorite ramp anyways.
Plus the boat will not slide off so easy until it is very close to floating off the trailer.

But you have to alter the rest of the bunk by raising the rest by 1/2" or lowering the glide surface by 1/2" so both are on the same plane.

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

What brands are you guys using?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I have a bunk trailer with slides, they came on it from the factory. However, mine are not the screw on from the top kind. They wrap from one side, up over the top and down the other side with staples through the side for attachment. Would be about a 20 minute install if I ever had to replace them. As for scratching the hull, zero after five years.