loctite?

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
picked up my new leaf springs. when i install should i use loctite? i plan on installing, driving for a while, and then re tightening. any thoughts on this? i do not have loc washers on the u bolts, do i need them?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: loctite?

I can't say that I have ever heard of Loctite being a requirement on a trailer's spring bolts...but I can see some benefit as to a corrosion barrier between the nuts and the bolt threads.

However...when you re-torque them you will break the Loctite bond, and defeat your purpose.

I would look into nylon locknuts if this were my project!

Happy boating!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I agree that Re-torquing is a Good idea,...

I don't use,+ have never run into loc-tite, or lock-washers on u-bolt nuts,....
Tight is tight enough...

'ell,... I hit 'em with never-sieze when I do 'em....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My limited experience with ubolts holding springs in place comes from a large commercial spring store in Dallas, TX where they did anything from cars to 18 wheelers. I had a Chev wagon ('71) and I had a leaf added to help in supporting all the gear we took on vacation.

The practice is to tighten the nut to the point where there is a lot of tension on the ubolt. Just like rod cap, mains, heads etc. on engines, the tension is what keeps them from backing off.

On mine,they tightened them to the point where they actually bent the bolt slightly. Never had a problem.

HTH

Mark

a70eliminator

Captain

I was going to mention not to overtighten, it's easy to just keep going and going ultimately streching the bolts, if they are u-bolts tighten evenly and don't strech them too much, if your just talking about a 7/16 or 1/2 bolt and nut there is a standard torque spec, I personally would spear them up with never-seez and forget the locktite, are you a dirtbike rider? they put locktite on everything. Almost forgot U-bolts are made with fine threads so they are less likely to loosen up.

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok. what i did was , installed new leaf springs. tightened up took a 20 mile drive, tightened up again and then instaaled a nylock nut as a jam nut. i ended up putting the loctite on the bolt that held the leaf spring to the frame. the nylock nuts backed up the u bolt nuts. thanks everyone for ur help.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

ok. what i did was , installed new leaf springs. tightened up took a 20 mile drive, tightened up again and then instaaled a nylock nut as a jam nut. i ended up putting the loctite on the bolt that held the leaf spring to the frame. the nylock nuts backed up the u bolt nuts. thanks everyone for ur help.

Well it certainly should not move now !!!