removing stuck hubs???

phatmanmike

Captain
how do i remove my old hubs. i have replace 3 hubs now and each time i had to cut them off with my grinder. arent they just supposed ta slide off the axle? i couldnt get any of them off for the ****ens of me. if you have any suggestions. lemme know.<br /> <br />i have removed the bearing buddie, the pin, the nut, the washer, the outer bearing and thats it, now the hub just wobbles but wont slide off....<br /> <br />m ikey

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: removing stuck hubs???

mike, back off the brake adjuster and they should slide right off.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just give it a hard and i mean Hard jerk sounds like the inner bearing is stuck or rusted to the axle, doing that will pop the back seal out that you should replace anyway then you can get at the inner bearing to knock it off.

ThomWV

Its just impossible for me to immagine an inner bearing being burned on there that badly and not have any problem with the outer bearing. I have never seen an inner bearing fail unless the outer bearing on the hub went first. So if he's pulling off the nut and washer the outer bearing should basically fall out in his hand when he shakes the hub. So what happened to the inner bearing that didn't happen to the outer one? I don't think its rust, because he's been pulling this thing and if there was rust then it all would have simply crumbled in a couple of miles of towing, and that didn't happen. That's why I'm really looking forware to hearing what the problem was here after you get the hubs off and everything apart so you can tell what was wrong.<br /><br />Thom

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

What was the problem the other 3 times when you had to cut them off? Looking at them should tell you what was hanging up.

Bass Runner

I really cant think of a logical reason to have to cut the hub off an axle, If you knock the rear seal out the hub will slide right off leaving the inner bearing and seal on the axle, then you can take a chisle and force the inner bearing off the axle. so why cut the hub?

phatmanmike

Captain

sorry guys, but two of the hubs wouldnt even roll at all, i tried driving with the trailer and the wheels just slid down the street, like peeling out, but the complete opposite..<br /><br />the third one, from a different trailer, i just for the life of me, could,,,, not,,,, get,,,,the,,,,darned thing off, or to even budge<br /><br />this was all befor egetting your help , of course, i have now found that if i spray liquid silicone INTO the hub from the front, all over the pl;ace, i can "jerk" it off.... trial and error i guess

mercuryblues

Seaman Apprentice

I have had stuck hubs on autos before and went to an auto zone and rented a tool called a slide hammer where you thread it on the lug studs and and it has a weight that you use to get stuck hubs off.Hope this helps.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I almost hate to ask this but do you pack the bearings with grease?

Bondo

Staff member

When it happens Again,<br />Just get a Bigger BFHammer................... :D <br />I've seen Alot of Neglected hubs that needed Serious Persuasion to get off.......

phatmanmike

Captain

so little, i did not pack the bearings, they were on a jon boat trailer that i recently bought used(cheap)...<br /><br />i have since replaced 4 different hubs and bearing kits on two different trailers, and that origonal question was before i learned the right way.<br /><br />i now have the quick lube hubs with the 80 weight gear oil, which by the way, if anybody has them, you MUST keepo the axle 110% clean or the oil will leak out.<br /><br />m ikey

rpddoc

Cadet

You can use a 2 or 3 angle puller and pull it off. As Bondo stated, a bigger BFH can help to. You can get pullers from sears or any parts store with decent tool selection. Always pack your bearings prior to putting them back on. I repack mine even if the come pre-packed from the factory. <br /><br />TakeEm

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mike, We used a spare wheel as a slide hammer to remove rear wheel drive axle bearings. You install the bare wheel, but only put the lugs on two turns or so. Now pull the wheel out rapidly until it hits the lug nuts(like a slide hammer). The impact usually will pull the bearing.<br /><br />You can also use the trailer tire for this purpose.