• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer Tire question about dry rot....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Tire question about dry rot....

My trailer has sat motionless pretty much all winter. --I had the tires positioned on boards on the ground (instead of the ground) and was wondering if I could have done anything more to prevent any damage to them? My boat isn't that big/heavy and the weather isn't that harsh in the St. Louis area. --They haven't leaked any air as far as I can tell (haven't put a gauge on them yet).Just wonderin'. Thanks.

Re: Trailer Tire question about dry rot....

I spray armorall or similar product on them just to help block UV light. I've seen covers for trailer tires, but have never used them. I've had trailers sitting in the weather for years & the tires will eventually start to crack if you don't wear them out first.I'd pay more attention to the bearings. They are more likely to cause trouble when neglected. Since you can't see them they are easy to forget. If you ever have one fly apart while on the road you'll know what I mean.

Comment

It's a good idea to block up the trailer when leaving it to sit for a long time. Get the tires off the ground a little.
      “We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children.”

Comment

Mine crack and need to be replaced on about a 3-year cycle. My boat is heavy and I put one side on boards just to level the boat up. Being on the ground isn't going to harm them. Keep in mind that when they rot its not really rot in the common sense (microbiological cause) but really a chemical reaction to crap in the air (SOx and NOx) and UV light. I have been told that most tire dressing, including STP's Son-Of-A-Gun and Armorall, actually makethe process worse. I don't know if they do or don't but I'm not going to be doing any spraying on the new set of tires I put on last year. Just thought I'd pass that nasty rumor on.Thom

Comment

I've seen that too several times myself. I do not use it anymore either.

Comment

I've gotten at least 10 years out of tires treated w/ armorall on a somewhat regular basis.I'll keep an eye out for the reports, but it doesn't seem to have hurt my tires.

Comment

tire covers is the answer. alot of people use them on motor homes. i use some old school bus seat covers for my tires works great but i am a bus mechanic so come across old covers everyday thanks to little snot nose kids that like to cut them up.

Comment

I've also heard the rumors about using armoral on tires causing more harm than good.I can tell you from experience. I own a 29 year old motorcycle that I bought new way back when. I don't ride it alot but I've always used armoral or simular product on the tires and seat.The original tires and seat are still on the bike and are not dry rotted.That being said, I always coat my boat trailer tires with armoral.

Comment

Maybe it's overkill but I set my trailer on jack stands and removed the tires and brought them in the basement. I believe the sun is their worst enemy and at 60-70 bucks apiece I want them to last a few years.

Comment

I put my trailer on cinder blocks just inside of each tire to get the tires off the ground and then put plywood over each tire to block the sun. I just lean the wood on each tire.

Comment

I put the cinder blocks under a part of the trailer frame with about 1/2 inch of clearance, that way if they loose air they're not left sitting on rims, and if not I don't have to do any jacking. Of course I don't really have an "off-season" - so far this winter haven't gone more than six weeks without hitting the lake.
                      It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

Ahhhh, "cinder blocks" --much like duct tape, they have many uses. Thanks. --That sounds like a winner. --So far, no leakage, but you can't be too careful. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I Jack up the trailer put on blocks and remove tires and put in my basement with no air in them. I have had my tires for 5 years come this season and not one crack.I use to leave them on and about every 3 years they would rot out. I once use to leave in the drive way and they even lasted pretty good there. But when on the lawn or dirt I think it sucks the moisture out of them??

Comment

Working...
                          X