Shorelander trailers

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
I noticed when I was shopping for my boat this summer, that if the trailer was a shorelander, it was considered a good selling feature. The boat I finally bought happened to have a galvanized shorelander. It's a great trailer, but is it really better than everything else out there? What other types/brands have a good reputation?

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shorelander trailers

You can research magazines like Trailer Boats for any such comparisons. <br /><br />However, Shoreland'r (note the apostrophe) is well known as a large and reputable manufacturer.<br /><br />I have a 1987 Shoreland'r and it has aged very well, and should be good for many more years.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'd never own one, period.<br /><br />Dad bought a new one 6 years ago and it has broke 6 times. It came with his new Alumacraft.<br /><br />Weld where tongue and frame meet, cracked on first trip, with less than 1000 miles on trailer.<br /><br />It is an all roller trailer, with pivoting crossmenber across the back. Pivot bolts have broke twice, dropping the boat onto the trailer frame and punching holes in the boat. The last time, it dropped down far enough to smash the lower unit of the motor ($1100).<br /><br />Roller bracket assembly broke and dropped off.<br /><br />Front keel roller and bowstop roller wore thru 3 or 4 times. Cracked in half on the first trip.<br /><br />No it was not overloaded.<br /><br />This fall, dad helped another stranded boater with the same trailer. The pivot bolts on the back of his trailer both broke. The crossmember, brackets, and complete roller assemblies went flying off. The entire bottom of the boat was tore up. Several holes big enough to put your arm thru. <br />Try starting your vacation by building a log frame on top of your trailer, then securing your boat to it, so you can haul it back home and throw it away.<br /><br />Oh yeah, they are real nice.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! That's what I call a piece of s__t! I have no rollers on mine (I have a 16ft open deck boatwith 3.0 cobra). Mine is built like a tank! In my opinion, whoever bought this trailer originally, bought one bigger and stronger than required. I get the distinct impression your trailer was either a real lemon or just not made strong enough for your application or with badly adjusted rollers...Did you bring this up with the Shoreland'r folks? If so, what was their take on this?

Lark40

Mine is an all-roller trailer with all the original fixtures, including the pivot bolts intact.<br /><br />Roscoe and I must pray to different gods. :D

Northern Eclipse

I looked into them about 3 years ago when I needed a new trailer, I thought they were a bit overpriced, I looked at 4500lb tandem with surge drum brakes, Bunk no rollers, the best price I got was about 4200 cdn, I passed on it because I didn't think it was that mich better than the crappy ez loader I was getting rid of. I found a local trailer manufacture and I had one custom made, this trailer came out just perfect I receive compliments all the time from other boaters, this trailer is 26ft long,has everything you need ,when I bought it in 2000 I paid 2600 cdn. so look into some local builders you might be surprised, I was not looking for a cheap trailer, but I did demand quality for my money.