Calkins Trailer Fishtailing

lundboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1994 Calkins with an 1850 Lund Tyee on it and it tows terribly. Espicially for the amount of weight that is being towed. It starts fishtailing really easily, especially when braking. Any ideas as to what is wrong?<br /><br />Thanks.

D

DJ

Re: Calkins Trailer Fishtailing

lund,<br /><br />You have too little tongue weight. Tongue weight should be about 10% of the total weight of the rig.<br /><br />You can increase tongue weight two ways.<br /><br />1. Move the winchstand forward.<br /><br />2. Slide the axle rearward.

lundboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, I figured that was the issue, I can pick up the hitch without any trouble, there isn't more than 30lbs at the tongue. The boat can't come any further forward on the trailer, so I'm left with moving the axle back?<br /><br />Here's another question. There is about 3-1/2 feet between the back of my truck and the front of the boat. The tongue of the trailer is just really long, I was thinking of hacking a couple feet off so it would hug my truck a little better. Any thoughts on that idea?

casper5280

Cadet

i would leave the tongue the way it is and move the winch stand forward.1 it would be a lot easier.2 that if you ever put a camper on the truck it wouldn't interfer with the camper door.3 you would also have a tighter turning riadus

lundboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it common to have to adjust all the rollers and pads forward when moving the winchstand forward? As it is right now the rear of the boat just barely sits on the back roller. If I moved the winchstand and boat forward 2 inches without also moving the rollers and pads the rear of the boat wouldn't be on the back roller. <br /><br />Also, I just weighed the tongue of the trailer and its at 110 lbs. I'm apparently stronger than I thought as it feels really light.

D

DJ

lund,<br /><br />An 1850 Tyee is not a light boat. 110# is far too light.<br /><br />Leave the tongue the way it is.<br /><br />You will have to slide the axle BACKWARD!<br /><br />This should NOT interfere with your rollers/bunks.<br /><br />Take a good look at the axle carriage assembly. You will probably sse more than several holes that the entire carrriage can be moved forward or BACKWARD.<br /><br />Todays trailers typically have an axle mounted to a carriage assembly. The idea is to move the whole mess.

lundboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Everyone for your replies. <br /><br />The axle and the rollers / bunks are all on a system that just slides forward or backwards with the loosening of a few bolts. No holes in the frame at all. <br /><br />Is there a reason why I shouldn't move the rollers/ bunks and the winchstand forward? When looking at the design of the trailer the boat looks like it sits on the back of the trailer, I think it nees to come forward. The front of the boat is a long ways away from my truck, and is hanging off the back. Also, there are lights mounted on my fenders, so if I move the axle back those lights would need to be rewired. <br /><br />I think I'll leave the hitch alone and move the boat forward, unless of course there is a good reason not to.<br /><br />thanks all for your help... it is much appreciated.