Powerwinch 812C

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I have an older powerwinch model 812C. My boat is a '78 20' Grady White Gulfstream on a tandem axle loadrite trailer. The ramp I use is fairly steep. I start getting the boat on the trailer with the winch, seems ok then starts to loose power as the boat gets about 2/3 the way on the trailer. Then I have to do it by hand! Is it possible the unit needs to be cleaned? Like brushes in a starter? Or is it the weight of the boat and the angle of the ramp? The boat probably weght close to 3800lbs with gas and gear. Any thoughts on a rebuild. This is a project boat and was hoping to keep the $ down. BTW, the rollers are free and roll easy.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Powerwinch 812C

The steep ramp is putting more load(weight) on your winch(and cable).Be careful and stand clear of the cable when pulling.You may want to lubricate the cable and internal gears with spray lithium grease.I don't think your going to find much on rebuilding as those winch's use tiny needle bearings inside. :( <br />If your still having trouble you can add a pulley or snatch block to the cable.A pulley w/a heavy hook attaches to the bow eye.The cable runs out through the pulley and back to the winch(or trailer) and hooks on.This gives a reduction in pulling force needed.If you decide to replace the winch,consider the 912 or similiar.<br />Also,does the boat take on any water?

jarob

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Powerwinch 812C

Your problem may be that your winch wiring is too light and cannot take the current load at the stall point. Run a couple of temporary cables (jumper size) directly from your battery to the winch and try that.