• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registering a trailer without serial numbers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a trailer without serial numbers

I boat a boat and a trailer. They have not been on the road or the water since 97 and, I need to register the trailer with a PA title. The previous title was lost. Also there are no serial numbers on the trailer. How do I go about registering it?

Re: Registering a trailer without serial numbers

You mean without perjuring yourself?

Have the previous owner apply for a replacement title.

If there's anything else that's legal I don't know it.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Comment

i did this with my old treailer sey that its home made. all i had 2 do was go 2 the dmv with the treailer get them 2 check it out and u get a pink slip. pretty easy and if u do have a license plat throw it away bechase they will charge every year it wasnt rejisterd comes out 2 a lot of money if u dont...

Comment

Originally posted by ebentraywick View Post
        i did this with my old treailer sey that its home made. all i had 2 do was go 2 the dmv with the treailer get them 2 check it out and u get a pink slip. pretty easy and if u do have a license plat throw it away bechase they will charge every year it wasnt rejisterd comes out 2 a lot of money if u dont...
        Was this recently?

Or is it really that easy in Cali?
        Last edited by HappierWet; October 20th, 2009, 01:20 PM. Reason: Missed location

Comment

In Florida, if you can show the last registration, or even have the last tag # that was on there, they should be able to verify what the vin # is. Then you can make your own ID plate with said vin # punched on it, and mount it.

Comment

Originally posted by HappierWet View Post
            Was this recently?

Or is it really that easy in Cali?
            In NC this is also fairly common (although alot of times it depends on the Highyway patrol man that has to (legally) "inspect" the trailer), alot of times this just means watching you stamp the vin # they assign you on the tounge.

I have taken (an obviously factory built trailer) that I had to replace the tounge on and called it homebuilt (it passed and they gave me a title).

Also (while not the legal way to do it), if the trailer has NO #'s on it, if you own another trailer you could use it's regestration/tag when you tow the boat... Again, this is NOT a legal way to do it.
            90 Four Winns Horizon 220
            96 Seadoo Spi
            88 Kawasaki JS650 (Stand up w/built engine)

Comment

Register as homebuilt... they will give you a VIN for it...

Comment

In Ohio all they need is a weight slip. I have a friend that used his old trailer's slip (after he sold the trailer) to get tags for his new trailer cuz he didn't want to go through the hassle of unloading boat (& keeping it safe), driving to scale & picking boat back up. This guy been using it for years, the state just wants their money.
                My 16' '75 MFG Restore
                http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448087

Comment

yep it is.. cost me 45 dollars 4 the pink slip and tags and 40 for the plates

Comment

In Illinois, I simply took off any decals of the name brand and then registered it as homebuilt. They then assigned a VIN number that you stick onto the trailer. If it is under 3000 lb load capacity, they don't even check it. Over 3000 pounds you have to get it inspected.

Comment

Trailers without titles or home made trailers are a PITA in PA.
                      You can either treat it as homemade; http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/o...f-vehicles.php, or go over to NJ and register is there. NJ will assign it a VIN # and issue a title as homemade without a ton of BS. When I lived in PA I did it all the time. If they ask, just say you plan to fish or boat in NJ. Either way it gets you a legal tag.

Comment

[QUOTE=reelfishin;2379148]Trailers without titles or home made trailers are a PITA in PA.QUOTE]

AMEN Brother

Comment

if u try to register it in pa as a homemade make u may have to take it to a special inspection station, take pictures etc. like they said a real pita in pa.
                          all axels need breaks if (i think) over 3000lbs.

john

Comment

I live in Pa , and yes , its a PITA. I posted an ad on Craigs list for broken down trailer with Pa title....offered $25.00 and removal. Got a reply about a broken down trailer , offered the guy $25.00 and cut his rusty old trailer up in 1/2 an hour and he handed me the signed title... good enough for me....
                            “Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.”
                            John F. Kennedy

sigpic1990 Bayliner 2002 Capri Cuddy /125 Force " Breaking Wind "

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I figured I would have to register as homemade. It is for over 3,000 and does have breaks on the axles.

Comment

Working...
                              X