Could I use a car Radial and Rim as a trailer spare?

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,<br /><br />This may sound like a dumb question but I have a Load-Rite Trailer with tire size E78-14 or ST195 75 14.<br /><br />I happen to have a Car Radial and Rim laying around from my old car that is 195 75 14<br /><br />Could I use this in a pinch for a short trip as a spare? I need to go on a trip and don't have spare at the moment.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> :)

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Could I use a car Radial and Rim as a trailer spare?

IMO, I would not hesitate to use it as a spare, especially for a short trip.<br /><br />Mixing a bias ply with a radial, is usually not recommended, but should ride OK, with reasonable speed and distance.<br /><br />Just make sure the bolt holes match up ;) <br /><br />Just my 2 cents.

Basenjib123

Seaman

No worries there. Heck, I have been running car radials on my trailer for years. Only time I would consider "trailer tires" would be on ramps that have potential to cause sidewall damage. Re-enforced sidewalls are the only significant difference between trailer tires and car tires. Of course, the people that sell trailer tires dont want you to know that! Good Luck.

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would you measure the lug holes to make sure it will fit other than taking the tire off and putting the other one on?<br /><br />The trailer rim seems to be backwards compared to the car rim. Do I have to turn the car rim around when putting it on? So the indentation is on the outside like the trailer tire? :confused: <br /><br />Thanks again,

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would suggest doing a quick dry run change.<br /><br />If it does not fit while in your driveway, it surely will not fit on some dark road.<br /><br />Good luck

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chevy Vega 4 bolt rims used to fit my old Jon boat trailer. I made many trips with one for a spare. I only had to use it once but I was darn glad I had it. I had to turn it around backwards so it would fit and take the fender off also. But it fit! Guess I could have gone to Wal-Mart and buy one that fit better, but we didn't have them on every corner like we do now.<br /><br />Ditto on the dry run in the drive way. You can take this time to grease hubs and lug nuts too!