Carlisle Sure Trail ST Bias Ply Tires.. Problems

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone had any problems with these tires??<br />I have a set and this weekend the tread seperated from the tire. This is the 2nd tire this has happened to me with....<br /><br />Let me know<br /><br />Tallman

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carlisle Sure Trail ST Bias Ply Tires.. Problems

Got a new set on my trailer, about 2 months old. Run about 100 miles a week on them....no problems. (knock on wood) :D

bubbakat

Captain

Tallman you proably just got two bad ones sold these tires for years and had very fey that were bad better luck on the next ones tell the dealer to check and make sure his supplier isn't slippling some abo's in on him he'll know what you mean by that

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Lets hope so... I drove the thing up from Florida last year 1100 miles no problems... In the Fall I had the first problem, then this weekend again same thing... Both happened on the same side of the trailer also which I find even stranger....<br /><br />I got a spare steel radial tire for 25.00 while on vacation and was thinking of replacing the others with them... Give me more peace of mind...<br /><br />Tallman

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had four out of five Carlisles go bad resulting in three blowouts. Carlisle gave me 100% adjustment and upgraded to Load Range D. Only problem is finding Dealer who stocks ST tires. John Oops! These were radials.

bubbakat

Captain

tallman go back to the dealer and tell him you are unhappy with these tires and if he is a local dealer wanting your business he will upgrade those tires for just a few more bucks just to keep your bussiness. if its blowing out it prob. is a bad rubber compound but the dealer has no way of knowing this. i know its a pain to have flats when you are trailering nothing i hate worse than a flat or a no starter i would go to the dealer and up grade

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunately I bought the trailer from a place in Miami which is about 1200 miles from where I am at now.. So I am stuck with these or either go to the other brand radials... Hell you cant beat the price on the radials they are 25.00 each installed and 40,000 mile. Only problem is they are listed as passenger tires... I dont know if that would make a difference or not..<br /><br />anythoughts on using the radials that are rated as passenger tires??<br /><br />TallMan

bubbakat

Captain

tallman look at the weight rating and if your not exceding the tire weight no prob. roll on.<br />compare the car with 4 passangers and combined weight if not exceding that with weight of boat'motor.gear as i saib roll on

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So let me get this straight! I am of the minority when I don't have problems with these tires. now I am wondering .......are these tires no good and I have just been lucky or are they worhty of trailing on for a while until I go and upgrade? :confused:

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

splugeeman :<br /><br />Ya got me, I drove the boat up from miami to Chicago no problems... I have been driving around here on and off no problems... In the fall one day driving down the highway.... Shazaam Tread comes off the tire...... No big deal warranty it and get a new one.....<br />This weekend driving about 120 miles with the boat to my parents house.... Shazaam Tread comes off another one........<br /><br />Now I am starting to wonder..... 2 tires same problems..???? Hmmmm... I do a lot of long drives with the trailer and have not used it much since the fall when the 1st tire came apart.. So it kind of has me concerned..... Its a double axle so I dont exactly want to plunk down a couple of bills for 4 new tires if I dont have to. But Peace of mind.... May be worth it... Dont know what I will do right now...<br /><br />Tallman

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tallman: Thank you for your comments and opinions. I guess its a wait and see game so far so good .. but I would rather be safe than sorry!<br />I have not had any bad luck with these tires but do not like idea of just waiting. You said you have a dual axle, I don't know... maybe these tires are better suited for lighter boats????? hopefully :rolleyes:

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

That may be possible, but I got the loadrange C on there and its a double axle so it shouldnt be that much of a factor. But ya never know.. Well I am going to replace the one that blew out and see what happens. If it happens again then I will look at replacing the tires.<br /><br />tallman

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tallman, let me know if you have anymore problems ....as for now I guess I will "go with the flow" . I will also let you know if I have any "situations". :)

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

splugeeman:<br /><br />Ok will do, Hey I see you are from the ozarks..<br />I am thinking about getting a few friends together to head down there for a 3 or 4 days in the summer. Any recommendations? We like to have a few cocktails and such... But like a quiet place to stay that wont rape us....Plus I will be bringing the ol money pit provided the tires dont blow on the way... HA HA<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Tallman

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tall man ..gonna move to vactions to talkbout Ozarks!

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Bottom line is this, If you use type st tires and use a load range that is the proper type for your rig (or a load range tire that is a greater capacity) you will not only be safe on the road you will have peace of mind as well! Boating is about relaxing not being stressed! If you want stress stay home with the wife :)

I had my Carlisle ST bias ply tires on a Load Rite trailer for 10 years without problem. Then I had a blowout - my fault - sidewalls showed cracks and I made the choice to wait until one failed before replacing. I replaced them with the same tires. No problems this year either. I use the boat about 10 weekends each year and tow 250 mi one way.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Ok just an update. I replaced those junk tires with trailer radials and have not had a problem..<br /><br />The tires I were running were well within the load range specified and were not stressed at all. I think they were just junk, bottom of the line tires... I am sure if I put them on my old big wheel from when I was 5 they would hold up but not much more than that.. Just my opinion..<br /><br />T

oldfart

Cadet

Tallman<br /> Have you weighed your boat and trailer? I bought a 95 VIP that had ST205R14's on the trailer. The tires were rated at 1760. I weight the boat and trailer with 1/2 tank of fuel. It was 4100. This was over the tires limit. I had to buy a new axle, springs and put on electric brakes as the trailer was over the 3000 lb legal limit. This jacked up the trailer about 2 in. which makes launching deeper. I spent almost $1K which included 3 new rims and tires but I feel confident knowing the tires are not stressed and the brakes really help.