Painting a trailer with Pettit?

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I sanded down the trailer when I got it 2 years ago- it was a rust case from hell but after new springs, bearings, lights and a paint job it looks brand new- or did then.<br /><br />Anyways its starting to rust again everywhere- very light spots here and there, should I sand and repaint with Rustoleum like I did the first time, or ive seen Pettit trailercote paint, anyone use this? I would like to be able to have a paint job last maybe 3-4 years before I need to redo it again.<br /><br />Oh- the trailer used to see salt water- it doesnt anymore- or maybe twice a year if that so its not really "abused".<br /><br />Thanks for any tips. <br />-John

CBU

Cadet
Re: Painting a trailer with Pettit?

Johnshan1:<br /> I recently painted my steel trailer w/Pettit trailercoat.I have no time on it as boat is almost finished but, can tell you it really seems to have good adhesion as described-took 3 days to remove spots from my hands!The trailer is for a 19ft. and 1qt gave me 6 light coats topside fenders and 4 light coats overall on trailer.I did sand light surface rust off top of fenders and prime w/rust treatment,rest of trailer got wicked wire brushing,scotchbrite srub w/soapy water then the paint.I sprayed mine from a HVLP spraygun.My early opinion is really great stuff-looks great and real tough finish.My cost was about $20 so for me it beats spraycans.Also, as a test I sprayed the really rusty safety chains-no prep at all-and the stuff refuses to come off(2 months now).Good Luck

Johnshan1

Thank you for the info! Not that big of a deal but, how does the finish look? Sounds like great stuff and I think I will give it a try, happen to have any pics? Does the trailer look like a classic galvanized trailer? Thanks again<br />-John

CBU

Cadet

Johnshan1:<br /> The finish turned out great,looks great.I would describe it as a bright aluminum look-lil better than a rough galvanic type finish.My trailer is galvanized steel and was dull grey-now is bright but not silver.It sprayed easily only one lil run and that was my fault-I really went multiple on top-o-fenders but,I lightly sanded and went over-no problems.I didnt mention in first post but I also clearcoated the Pettit w/a Dupont acrylic clear.I am really pleased w/my results considering cost-I do not believe a better or cheaper result can be had from spraycans<br /> Also,I did take a couple instamatics and my wife says we could easily email those copies but,I'm not certain on posting pics from this PC.

Johnshan1

I took the plunge and painted the trailer today. Seems like great stuff, I still have 1/2 a can left and its a 15' boat trailer. <br /><br />I added a new tounge to the trailer today as well (I am building a 15 foot www.bateau.com boat) and this trailer was a touch too short for it.<br /><br />Anyways it looks decent, I think it will hold up well.<br /><br />Thanks again for the info<br />-John