Estimated empty weight of boat trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I need to know a rough estimate of a single axle, steel boxed frame trailer wich will fit a 20' boat. Any ideas? Name plate is faded and I need unlaiden weight.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Estimated empty weight of boat trailer?

I would guess it is more like 800-1000 lbs. My trailer is 900 lbs. It is an EZ-Loader single axle with a box frame and could probably be adjusted fit a 20' boat maximum.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 19 1/2' boat on a galvanized, box framed, EZ Loader, roller trailer, w/electric drum brakes, w/o a spare tire that weighs 540 lbs. Another foot on the tongue length wouldn't hurt so 550 - 600 lbs would be a good guess.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Is this a trailer that you own? If you have a title for the trailer it might have the unladen weight on it. In Pa, our titles do anyway. Good luck.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is, but....... the prior title state did not require it and it was not listed anywhere. As for the trailer, it has a sticker decal that is completly faded out. There is no possible way to read it.

a70eliminator

Captain

The single axle trailer for my 20' bow rider with a box frame weighs 850lbs.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

what dimensions on the box??

I have a heavy duty C channle frame that is 3"X5"....that is a lot of metal, but if it was boxed or a tube..then it would be close to 20% heavier!!!

you could look up trailer companies online and compare one that looks close to yours

bob

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At the risk of sounding like a wise *****, do you have a make , model and/or VIN # of the trailer? Then, call the manufacturer. They will know, because they have to list the empty weight for registration purposes. They can also tell you the carrying capacity, tire sizes, etc.

Otherwise, take the empty trailer down to a public scale and weigh it. They will give you a paper with a CERTIFIED weight, which the DMV should recognize.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting concept registering a boat trailer. We register the boat in AL.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

sure , registered and inspected every year in NY....dont want some yahoo carrying a4 ton boat on a 1 ton trailer with no lights and no brakes...

and rusting away....

everything that goes on the public highways is registered here....i would have thought most other states as well

I am sure some of it is for cash flow.,...
but also to keep the rest of us safe

bob

cribber

Lieutenant

Here in Florida we have a separate boat and trailer registration and ya gotta have both handy. Contact the manufacturer with model and or VIN for max capacity. EZ Loader has most of theirs listed on the web. Good luck!!!

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

sure , registered and inspected every year in NY....dont want some yahoo carrying a4 ton boat on a 1 ton trailer with no lights and no brakes...

and rusting away....

everything that goes on the public highways is registered here....i would have thought most other states as well

I am sure some of it is for cash flow.,...
but also to keep the rest of us safe

bob

Unless we stick them in the ocean rust isn't really an issue.

I lived in Rome NY for 12 years so I do understand about rust. I also know I saw a lot of rusted out "winter rats" that had inspection stickers. We don't have inspections. If you have a light out expect to get pulled over.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have a 19 1/2' boat on a galvanized, box framed, EZ Loader, roller trailer, w/electric drum brakes, w/o a spare tire that weighs 540 lbs. Another foot on the tongue length wouldn't hurt so 550 - 600 lbs would be a good guess.

Not that I am doughting you, but I have a single axle, aluminum trailer for my 18' and the spes say it is 500lbs. Hard to see your steel trailer at only 40 more lbs... could be, just don't seem right.

I would guess between 800-1000lbs...

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The weight was determined on a certified scale which was good enough for the state of Ohio. I actually thought it was 450 lbs until I rechecked the registration. I'm getting dyslexic I guess.

It's not the heaviest built trailer I've ever seen but it does the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.