Replacing bunk carpet.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since I keep my boat on the trailer, and need to replace the bunk carpet, is this something I can just do in the parking lot at the lake? Anybody do it that way? I plan on just stapling a new layer of carpet over what's there now. Monel staples on the underside of course. Any tips?

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing bunk carpet.

I did that same thing in a parking lot on an ugly trailer years ago. Only difference is I pulled off what remained of the old "astro-turf" black carpet and found that 1 bunk had severe rot. While you're back there, maybe poke around for soft spots.
Larry

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a habit of replacing the bunk wood when I do the carpet. You could jack the boat up and remove a single bunk then do the other side. I did mine that way ....one bunk at a time and also discovered rotting wood.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It would not take too long or cost that much to go ahead and and replace the bunks. You can pre-cut them and get them as close to ready to install as you can then do the rest in the parking lot. You can just use a cordless drill to drill the new mounting holes or carefully measure it out and drill the holes at home before you go to the lake. Take your wrenches and any new hardware you might need bolts, washers, etc. and you will be all set to swap the old bunks out in minimum time in the parking lot.

If the bunk wood is still in good shape, then just pull the old carpet off before you put the new stuff on, as you don't want that old carpet that I assume is dry rotting underneath.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Use stainless steel staples!

I use a pneumatic stapler when I do mine. Makes life easy!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not sure because I buy a fairly large quantity since I do some upholstery work as well.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Won't stainless stress crack in saltwater? At work, here on the Gulf Coast, we have to be really careful of the stainless applications in vessels and fasteners. Something called chloride stress corrosion. Seems we use SS 316L.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Won't stainless stress crack in saltwater?
Its a staple! All bow railings, cleats and every piece of hardware on a boat is stainless. Every staple used in the upholstery of a boat is stainless as well.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does fire hose make a good material? Seems like the rubber liner would act as a cushion.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

maybe......that stuff out here sells for almost $10/foot though! im guessing you have a connection to some old worn out stuff or something maybe.....

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you go by a fire dept. (especially a volunteer one) they very well might give you some old fire hose they save old ones for a while to make chafe guards and such out of, but eventually throw alot of them away, catch them in a good mood and they may "hook you up".

I would recommend against stapling the new bunk carpet over the old. If nothing else you will cuss yourself a couple years later when you have to re-do the bunks and are forced to rip 2 layers of carpet off (esp. if you secured the last layer of carpet with nails)..... I just did this 2 days ago...Not Fun.

TojosMojo's idea of building new bunks (with carpet) and totally replacing the old ones is a GREAT idea. For a small investment re-bunking could be done once, done correctly, and would eliminate any worries for years.

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Use stainless steel staples!

If your going in saltwater find monel staples. Much more corrosion resistant than plain SS. I found mine at Ace hardware. Home depot or Lowe's didn't have them.

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I replaced mine i pre-made them and covered them.

Launched the boat and just replaced them in the parking area.

Took all of 10 min with just hand tools.

Not a big issue.....