Anyone Tow with a Trailblazer ??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Got an option on a 2005 Trailblazer with 50,000 km (30,000 miles) on it.
Decent price and in extremely good shape.
Even if we get it I will be keeping the Jimmy for our son to use.
Anybody tow with one of these and if so what do you tow with it and how does it perform ??

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Ken

Re: Anyone Tow with a Trailblazer ??

My dad has a 2005 trailblazer with the factory tow package. tows his 18 ft larson just fine. (about 4,000lbs loaded) His has the awd option so no problems at the ramp. only thing is the factory did not connect the tow wiring. I had to buy 2 relays to activate the reverse lock out and the trailer power. Seats 4 comfortably. good amount of storage. gets pretty good gas milage.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

does it have the v-8? i see many people tow with the trailblazer/enoys...

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

We've towed our Thundercraft and our Bass Tracker behind my moms 07 trailblazer with the straight 6. plenty of power. you have to give it alot of gas at the ramp, or maybe i am just too used to stick shift.:rolleyes: This summer we towed the bass tracker to canada with it, and it was like there was no boat; until you looked back:eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

This summer we towed the bass tracker to canada with it

You came to Canada and didn't come to see us !!!

Thanks for the info so far everyone.
I did forget to mention it is a 6 cylinder 4WD and has the tow package. The receiver looks like it has never been used.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our 2004 Trailblazer with I6 tows great. First time put boat behind it, I didn't know it was there. Even my utility trailer just tags along without a hint it's back there. Yes, I constantly look behind me to see it's there and to also habitually keep watch on tires and cargo in the boat or utility trailer. Heck, I even pulled a few sapling tree stumps (up to 2-in. dia. or so).

Now the Trailblazer itself has some issues, but that's being addressed in the Trailblazer forum elsewhere.

Overall, though, very happy with the vehicle. It's a 2wd with complete towing package, including the electrical trailer connector (round, 7-pin) that required an adapter to connect to 4-pin straight connector.

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Our 2004 Trailblazer with I6 tows great. First time put boat behind it, I didn't know it was there. Even my utility trailer just tags along without a hint it's back there. Yes, I constantly look behind me to see it's there and to also habitually keep watch on tires and cargo in the boat or utility trailer. Heck, I even pulled a few sapling tree stumps (up to 2-in. dia. or so).

Now the Trailblazer itself has some issues, but that's being addressed in the Trailblazer forum elsewhere.

Overall, though, very happy with the vehicle.

Would like to hear the vehicles issues.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

You shouldn't have any problem towing with it. I have a friend with one and they have always been very happy with it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a Rainier which is a jazzed up Trailblazer. I bought mine specifically for towing my Chaparral which is a very heavy boat for its length. The vast majority of TB's have an I6 but I have a 5.3liter v8. That is because Rainier was the first of the platform to offer the 5.3 on their short wheelbase platform as an option while the others only offered the I6 up until a few years ago (the long wheelbase was the exception the the rule). There are several important things to consider on that vehicle for towing which is what lead me to the Rainier. Those would be the v8 over the I6, a locking g80 rear differential, 4wheel drive or in the case of the Rainier all wheel drive and the gear ratio being 3.42, 3.73 or 4.11. If you are going to drop the cash for a tow vehicle why not find one that has all the appropriate equipment for towing. The reason I went with the Buick over the others is all the options on the trailblazer (except the v8) are standard on the Buick. That means the odds of that trailblazer having the 3.73 or 4:11 and the G80 locker are slim. Most TB's I saw however do have 4wd. You can certainly tow with a 2wd, 3.42, no G80 locker, since lots of people do but my take is the Rainier tows extremely well in all situations I have come across. I can say I couldn't find a single Trailblazer or Envoy with all the things I wanted in a tow vehicle because at 36 years old I would have never thought of buying a Buick.

I have a 03' envoy xuv and its a I6 and i pull my caravelle with no prob. i have a stock hitch and have no problems

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I've had my TB for a year now, It is twice the truck as the old S-Blazer.
Sits firmly on the road, rides much better.

Friend of mine tows a 21'er with his, loves it.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Got ya all beat. '06 TB inline 6 towing a Concept 228. Boat weighs 3700 dry, trailer weighs another 1000. It doesn't like it much but it does pull it and stop it. As for dragging it up out of the water...4 wheel low does just fine.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I have the same vehicle that you are looking at.
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4WD
4.2L I6 3.42 Axle 5100lbs towing cap.

With a bit more boat to tow.;)
1991 Wellcraft 216xl Eclipse 7.4L/Bravo 1
Total weight, about 4900lb fully loaded.

The Trailblazer does an adequate job towing the load. The inline 6 is OK but I could certainly use more HP. It will frequently have to down shift on uphill sections of highway to maintain 65-70mph. Brakes are good and it tracks straight and true under hard braking.

A cross wind or a large vehicle passing can sometimes cause sway at higher speeds(>70mph). Could use a longer tounge on the trailer or a WD hitch.

Fuel economy is 17/18mpg without the trailer. Closer to 9/10 when towing. Pretty poor for a 6 cyl.

Overall, it gets the job done but a larger vehicle or TB with a V8, would be nice. With a smaller load (<4k) it does a good job and is plenty of vehicle.
Truckandboat2.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

And it's the same color as well !!!
Thanks for all the info. Seems like it is more than enough for what I plan towing.
Time to go negotiate a deal I think !!!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have the same vehicle that you are looking at.
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4WD
4.2L I6 3.42 Axle 5100lbs towing cap.

With a bit more boat to tow.;)
1991 Wellcraft 216xl Eclipse 7.4L/Bravo 1
Total weight, about 4900lb fully loaded.

The Trailblazer does an adequate job towing the load. The inline 6 is OK but I could certainly use more HP. It will frequently have to down shift on uphill sections of highway to maintain 65-70mph. Brakes are good and it tracks straight and true under hard braking.

A cross wind or a large vehicle passing can sometimes cause sway at higher speeds(>70mph). Could use a longer tounge on the trailer or a WD hitch.

Fuel economy is 17/18mpg without the trailer. Closer to 9/10 when towing. Pretty poor for a 6 cyl.

Overall, it gets the job done but a larger vehicle or TB with a V8, would be nice. With a smaller load (<4k) it does a good job and is plenty of vehicle.
Truckandboat2.jpg

Good post.... as a comparison to that I6, I tow 4000lbs, the V8 never needs to downshift, highway nontowing real life mileage is 18 and towing is 13. The v8 only has around 15 more hp but a lot more torque. I agree with the highspeed slight sway at times. The real beauty about this particular platform is they fit into the dime a dozen category used which is what interested me in it in the first place. My Rainier was $42,000 new out the door and I paid a lot less than that a few years old. The v8 more than gets the job done, sounds good and is extremely fast.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

10,000lbs at 70mph - What did you expect?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've had three of them as company vehicles, put 120,000+ on all of them (well I'm at 92,000 on the third one). The first couple of model years had some electrical issues and a couple of recalls, the later ones are OK. I would say they tow OK, not great, at least for what they're rated for. The I6 is a little weak for anything even close to what its rated at, not that it won't pull it, it just that you have your foot in it all the time and the mileage is terrible with a load. The suspension and tires are soft and the brakes are adequate, but not really up to the rated load. They're set up for a good ride empty and without a trailer, which makes them good for what I do for work, but it also means they struggle a little in the towing department. My GMC Sierra AWD van with a 4.3 was much better, so are both of the F150s I've had (one V6 and one small V8).

Consumer reports says they're terrible, not sure why, mine have all been comfortable and reliable, most of the other sales guys have them too, so they can't be that bad.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess i didnt mention that towing with the tb, we can pass almost every car on the road, but we cannot pass a gas station:p

They do have their share of issues too... 120 miles after the warranty ran out, the fuel level reader went out. $600 to fix... Got one from the junkyard for $5.