wheel stud is spinning and lug nut wont come off

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have any good ideas on what to do? When you turn the lug nut, the wheel stud turns also, but it doesn't back out. It also won't tighten back down. thanks for any ideas. <br /><br />Steve

humblechoice

Seaman
Re: wheel stud is spinning and lug nut wont come off

i would take the hub of the axle , see if you can tap the back of the lug nut back into position, if that dosn't work, might be able to hold the lug from behind and possisbly work it off that way, at least with the hub off you have more options.

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

problem is that it is the wheel with the brake drum on it, so i don't think it will come off the axle. Am i overlooking something?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It will come off the axle. Just remove the center nut as though you were going to repack the bearings.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All the above + when the wheel is off weld the lug back on, just tack it and then you'll find it'll either do up or come off.<br />Ross

petryshyn

Commander

ditto on the weld, but don't tack it to the hub, tack on a piece of flat iron to the stud and secure the flat iron......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When, you get the stud off, replace it. I have use a dremal tool to cut the nut in half and then split it off.<br /><br />A wheel stud is cheap. <br /><br />Bob

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would try the Dremil first. If that fails get a torch!!!!!!!!!!! You would be supprised how much time you wasted on a $1.50 stud.

Tinman

Cadet

If you are replacing the stud anyway, why not just drill the stud from the back while holding the lugnut side with a visegrip or wrench? just drill it until the flange comes off similar to drilling out a rivet. be easier and probably faster than messing around with a wimpy dremel tool..In the words of Tim Allen "More Power!!"<br /><br />Tinman

JB

I like Tinman's suggestion, provided you have a 1/2" drill. You could spend a lot of time drilling the head off with a 3/8" drill, even a Milwaukee.

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem on a vehicle and had it removed by a tire dealer (Discount tires).<br /><br />I'm not sure what they did, but it took about two minutes to get two of them off. I think they used something to split the nut.<br /><br />It was worth every penny of the $12 it cost me.<br /><br />If you can move your trailer, it may be worth it in saving time and aggravation.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Normaly the stud just drives into back of hub so make sure it is pushed all the way in the back, if it is it should not turn. If all the splines are wore off allready cut it, drill it and then put in a new good stud. Don't weld it fix it right, you may want to replace it some day if it gets to rusty.

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

I would go with ROSS.<br />then cut the lig off and put a new one in.<br />you could justleave that way.<br />REX A.

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boys at discount used a nut splitter! Which works great if you have one handy. Most of us don't, and would probably put it on the wrong nut if they did. I think the EX-wife has a nut splitter!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Have you ever tried to drill tempered steel! Lug nuts and bolts are tempered. How many bits you got? <br /><br />Just cut the thing off with a torch and go from there.

JB

Hahaha! :D <br /><br />Who would be likely to have a cutting torch, but not a nut splitter in their shop? :) <br /><br />Hey, Wrestler, what happened?

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to any muffler shop...I sure they'll be glad to help. :D