leaf spring size for 83 shorelander

the toy

Cadet
hi,found damaged leaf spring on my 1983 shorelanr trailer.has no serial or model nos,left on rust ate them off.trailer fits 18.6 ft bayliner drive on trailer .has 5 springs believe 32" long radius slipper type.cant unload trailer to measure spring.need to know how to ck for poss bent axle.prev owner replaced 1 spring that side sits wheel tilted out some and sits it back further than other side.believe he said spring from stingel bros.mdl.no 3907 .19 1/4"from frt bolt to center of spring whole spring on that side measures like a lil over 35" long orig pass side measures 32".axle looks like pulled back to far to rear .like its either twisted or held ther by axle .prev.owner said orig spring had end broken just before rear mounting.thanks in advance for your help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: leaf spring size for 83 shorelander

First I would like to suggest that you begin sentences with a capital letter and use correct punctuation if you want anyone to read what you wrote. Too be honest, I pretty much skipped everything you wrote because it was so hard to read.

Second, you need to determine the hangar distance of your springs and contact these people:

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: leaf spring size for 83 shorelander

You don't need to unload the boat to measure the spring. But you do need to jack up that side to take the load off the spring. Then measure from the center of the front spring eye straight to the rear. Then go the site Bruce suggested. But before you order the spring, do the same process on the other side. If that spring is shorter or longer than the one you are ordering, that accounts for why the axle is farther back on one side than the other. This also makes the trailer dog track -- meaning it does not follow directly behind the tow vehicle but rather off to one side or the other. If the two springs are not the same dimension, you need to order a spring(s) that bring the axle back into alignment. Again, a tape measure can help you with that.