• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer Axle Arc/Bend

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Axle Arc/Bend

I'm looking at a used boat...I noticed the trailer axle has a slight upward bend or arc...almost cresent shaped. The owner says this is normal and called a cambered axle. Is this true or is it bent? I can't find anything about a cambered axle on the internet... could it have another name i.e. torsion axle?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you Sean

Re: Trailer Axle Arc/Bend

They are made that way. I put a brand new 3000lb axle on my quad trailer and it had an arc....I also just bought a boat with a dual axle trailer that had arc's in both..I called the trailer company and they said it was intended to be that way to counter the load of the boat. Many "light" duty single axle trailer's are straight. Here are some pictures of my axles..some thought they were bent as well...But both are shaped the exact same way.
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347428
    sigpic
    1995 Monterey Montura 210 5.7l Merc Alpha 1
    2003 GMC Yukon 5.3l 3.73 gears

My Completed Deck/Stringer Restore
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....74#post2486474

Comment

Originally posted by MTribe08 View Post
      They are made that way. I put a brand new 3000lb axle on my quad trailer and it had an arc....I also just bought a boat with a dual axle trailer that had arc's in both..I called the trailer company and they said it was intended to be that way to counter the load of the boat. Many "light" duty single axle trailer's are straight. Here are some pictures of my axles..some thought they were bent as well...But both are shaped the exact same way.
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347428

Yep, MTribe08 is right on the money.
      sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

[QUOTE=MTribe08;2341210] Many "light" duty single axle trailer's are straight.
        Then, my torsion suspension, disk brake, 5200# axles are considered "light duty"; they are perfectly straight.
        Captharv
        Certified Old Boater

Comment

[QUOTE=captharv;2341266]
          Originally posted by MTribe08 View Post
          Many "light" duty single axle trailer's are straight.
          Then, my torsion suspension, disk brake, 5200# axles are considered "light duty"; they are perfectly straight.
          Great...I never said that wasn't a possible scenario.
          sigpic
          1995 Monterey Montura 210 5.7l Merc Alpha 1
          2003 GMC Yukon 5.3l 3.73 gears

My Completed Deck/Stringer Restore
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....74#post2486474

Comment

Curved axles are common. But neither of my 2000lbs trailers have curved axles. Just depends on who made the trailer or replaced an axle.

If the axle is normally straight, any downward bow indicates an overloaded condition.
            sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

I have a small landscape / utility trailer and the axle is curved like that

Comment

Cambered axles are very common these days and the theory is that as load is added to a trailer with a straight axle there is a tendency for the wheels to go from perfectly vertical to tilted in at the top. To compensate for that the axle is bent or cambered to have the wheels tilted slightly out at the top when the trailer is empty but perfectly vertical when loaded. Whether or not an axle is cambered or not depends solely on how the trailer is manufactured and its rated load capacity. Torsion axles are a totally different design and use a swing arm at each end.. Each of the arms is embedded in a rubber insert in the axle itself so it is in effect, a rubber suspension. There are no leaf springs.

Comment

Working...
                X