A truck towing a camper towing a boat. Is it legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: A truck towing a camper towing a boat. Is it legal?

IMG00151.jpg A little hard to see the boat in the back, but it's there..

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Just like a big truck pulling doubles or triples,,,,, you don't...:D

what, you mean you don't unload your boat while still attached as a triple? :D

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

that exactly NOT what it says. it states this:

With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Manitoba (maximum length 23m.) and Saskatchewan.

In the rest of the states you can have both bumper hitches....

I checked with DMV and CHP that's next door to each other. Short story...requirements are Commercial license endorsement to tow behind only 5th wheel or gooseneck type hitches. With that restriction plus the thought of pulling doubles on narrow roads in addition to possibly having to back-up I decided to just buy a MH and pull my boat :p

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I checked with DMV and CHP that's next door to each other. Short story...requirements are Commercial license endorsement to tow behind only 5th wheel or gooseneck type hitches. With that restriction plus the thought of pulling doubles on narrow roads in addition to possibly having to back-up I decided to just buy a MH and pull my boat :p
It just makes it a little inconvenient when you have to pack everything up to load or unload the boat. Some of the boat ramps here you have to back in quite a ways to drop off and retrieve the boat. Plus the lake we go to the most it is pretty sandy and lots of two wheel drive truck get stuck. But lots of people do just what you are going to do.. Motor home and boat.

BF

Lieutenant

pulling a boat behind a 5th is very popular around here... especially for hardcore fisher types going to relatively remote campgrounds, but wanting comfortable accommodations..... It's much more popular than motorhomes pulling a boat. I think it's b/c of how common turbo diesel pickups are now...

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I would do it but I already get 5 MPG towing just the 5th wheel, I am scared to put the boat on the back of it.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

pulling a boat behind a 5th is very popular around here... especially for hardcore fisher types going to relatively remote campgrounds, but wanting comfortable accommodations..... It's much more popular than motorhomes pulling a boat. I think it's b/c of how common turbo diesel pickups are now...

It's what I use to pull mine:) and for tree work.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this is legal in SD and think others covered about everywhere else. it's not a good idea in my opinion. However, I did see one person that had the right idea.

He had his boat offset to the right of the travel trailer. This way it was away from traffic and he could see it :D

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would do it but I already get 5 MPG towing just the 5th wheel, I am scared to put the boat on the back of it.

Your mileage may not change much. A lot of your mileage loss is from the extra drag the trailer causes. Where your boat would be "drafting" off your trailer------------------;)

Bifflefan

Commander

Well, ok then as you live there and have it from the DMV, i will go with you on that. As i said "the laws may have chainged since i lived there."

As for the rest, I do have a class A CDL and pulled triples from Portland OR to Layton UT for 12 years. You just have to plan your moves and plan for others moves then dont get into a situation that you will have to back out of.

A MH is a good idea as then your not taking an extra vehicle.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A MH is a good idea as then your not taking an extra vehicle.

the problem i see with this is, say your at the camp ground all set up and relise you need somthing from the store? thats why i like my 5th wheel

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

^ It's not just running to town for supplies you forgot, it's also having to break camp every day to launch and retrieve your boat. That's what prompted my dad to sell the motorhome and buy a truck and 5th wheel when I was a kid.

There are a few errors on that towing laws sticky. Here's what I know for western Canada:

BC - Double towing not permitted. Brakes required for trailers exceeding 1360 kg (1500 lb) OR exceeding 1/2 of the weight of the tow vehicle.

Alberta - Double towing permitted if the first trailer is a tandem axle 5th wheel. Maximum overall length 20 m (65 ft). Brakes are required for trailers exceeding 900 kg (2000 lb) AND exceeding 1/2 of the weight of the tow vehicle. The first trailer is considered the tow vehicle for the second.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba - Double towing permitted if the first trailer is a tandem axle OR a 5th wheel. Maximum overall length 23 m (75 ft). Not sure about brake requirements.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

In Michigan max length is 65 feet.

As far as backing up you can do it if you can see the back trailer in your mirrors. We do it all the time.

DougV>

CanWoodsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

However, I did see one person that had the right idea.

He had his boat offset to the right of the travel trailer. This way it was away from traffic and he could see it :D
Actually not a good idea and most likely illegal as it's unsafe. First the travel trailer would be constantly having a drag to the right which could cause sway.
Also with this set up the boat trailer would move further inside on right turns. On left turns you have the other side of the road for extra space but on right turns you have no extra road and may have curbs.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually not a good idea and most likely illegal as it's unsafe. First the travel trailer would be constantly having a drag to the right which could cause sway.
Also with this set up the boat trailer would move further inside on right turns. On left turns you have the other side of the road for extra space but on right turns you have no extra road and may have curbs.

I dsagree with the extra drag. This boat was much smaller than the trailer it was hooked to. Completely behind the trailer. The turns wouldn't be that much different since most people tend to make wider right turns than left.;)

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw a creative solution to towing a car and a boat behind a bus-type RV -

It was a trailer with what appeared to be a boat lift that held boat up above a car on trailer below. They were traveling on opposite side of hwy and I could not tell whether it was homemade or factory, but it was neat looking.

Anybody else seen this?

here's a link to a commercially available one...
http://www.rv.com/products/builtrailers.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.