• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave trailer tires on the floor during winter storage?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave trailer tires on the floor during winter storage?

A question for you guys that have done this a lot longer than me... I am storing my wellcraft 170 on it's trailer in a heated storage facility this winter. I am aware of all the winterizing issues for my I/O and will get those done, but I am wondering about whether or not I leave the trailer on the cement floor for the 7 months of storage. I wouldn't doubt the tires would go soft, but are there any other issues to consider? Should I jack the trailer up, put it on stands to relive the pressure off the tires? This is a nice, clean facility, but are there ways to keep mice out of my boat, etc? I am just trying to keep from having too many issues while the thing sits so long.
    Thanks! This site has been great in teaching me a lot.

Re: Leave trailer tires on the floor during winter storage?

I've never given any special attention to tires and wheels other than keeping them clean. My boat overwinters sitting on the trailer and all I've ever done is back the trailer up with a patio block under each tire to keep them sinking into the soft ground during the spring thaw.
    There are guys who will put the wheels and tires in plastic bags bring them into their homes and sleep with them, but I'll only dream of indoor heated storage.
    '90 Chaparral 2000SL
    5.8 Cobra
    '67 MFG Westfield Regal
    80hp V-4
    (No private messages)

Comment

Some say that you should support the trailer by the frame thereby taking weight off of the tires and suspension. It certainly can't hurt. However, I at one time had 7 trailers on my property (4 single axle and 3 tandems), and I still have 4 (2 single axle and 2 tandems) and every one of them sits on their tires all year long. I have never had a problem doing this. With the number of trailers I have I don't have the inclination or the required number of stands to jack them all up off of the ground. I also want to be able to move them quickly if needed and don't want to have to jack them up, remove stands, lower to ground, just so I can move a trailer for maybe a few minutes. Just my 2 cents.
      1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
      My build thread
      My upholstery thread

Comment

I think alot of the issues are from leaving them on grass or dirt, the moisture "overtime" does certanly seems to rot tires and rust out rims,
        so when we park the boat for the winter in the shed, the tires are fully inflated and are parked on wood or concrete blocks, not sunk into the dirt floor.
        rob
        home is where we drop anchor

Comment

I park indoors, in New England and not heated, but do take the pressure off the tires and spings by restting the frame on jack stands. I have a floor jack readily accessible and it only takes a few minutes so why not.

The tires just barely touch the floor, so in an emergency I wouldn't hesitate to hitch and go without worrying about the stands.
          Gene Brown
          1974 Thunderbird Formula 180,
          Mercruiser 888, Ford 302, Holley
          1958 Rhones 18 (winter project)
          sigpic

Comment

I feel about the same as the other comments. All of my trailers are parked on concrete pads or couple pieces of 2x10 wood for the winter.
            Never had a problem.
            I have heard fabric softener dryer sheets keep mice away but have never tried it.
            sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

I have always taken the weight off the tires by supporting the frame with jack stands. For 1 boat and trailer it only takes a few minutes and certainly can't hurt.
              1996 Crestliner 2160 Phantom, 1996 Evinrude 130 HP
              sigpic

Comment

Probably doesn't matter if the boat is inside but if stored outdoors I'd leave pressure on the wheels (on top of wooden blocks is a great idea). There is UV
                protectant in the rubber which requires the weight of the trailer to "force" it out of the rubber to the surface.
                The Crestliner Restoration

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....49#post2218249

1967 16' Crestliner and 60hp Johnny

Klamath Trailorboat and 9.9 Johnny

Comment

Indoor heated storage.
                  Trailer on blocks to keep weight off one area of tires for a long period of time.
                  Small containers of mothballs and downy sheets scattered around the interior.
                  Steel gauze over the plug hole.

Outdoor Freezing Cold Storage.
                  Trailer on blocks.
                  Wheels stored inside somewhere in a warmer than freezing place.
                  Steel gauze over the plug hole.
                  Outboard or inboard properly winterised
                  Outfit completely covered with cover or tarp or both.

Just my opinion though.
                  sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Frozen flatspots can't be good for tire longivity. Don't have to worry about that here in socal
                    When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

I pay to have our rig stored during the winter. It is enclosed, but not heated. Since the storage place owner has to move rigs around sometimes, customers do not jack up their rigs. So far, so good. No tire or suspension issues.

And, yes, Bounce fabric softener sheets scattered throughout the various compartments works for us to keep the critters away. Since our boat is stored indoors, I just leave the drain plug in. -Ken
                      2008 Lund 1750 Fisherman
                      2008 Merc 115hp 4-stroke EFI
                      2008 Shorelandr' Trailer
                      And two wonderful golden retrievers

Comment

We have used dryer sheets every year when we close the cottage. Works great. One year I didn't put any in the back storage room and I had droppings everywhere.
                        Ray

Never take instruction from a guy with missing fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmyfam View Post
                          Outdoor Freezing Cold Storage.
                          Trailer on blocks.
                          Wheels stored inside somewhere in a warmer than freezing place.

just curious why for that one? tires really don't care if they freeze or not.

personally, all my trailers are ALWAY stored with the tires on, although I usually put some wood blocks under the tires to keep it from sinking in during the spring thaw. Sunrot/weather rot is fairly rare in modern tires, I haven't replaced a tire in 10 years that wasn't due to road damage or mileage issues.

Comment

Although I have never had it happen over winter, sun rot is pretty common in the southwest espescially if the trailer does not get used. I have read that the standard is if you tow your trailer at least 6 times per year enough of the UV protectant is forced out to prevent any rot problems. NOt a problem for most people. They also claim that regardless of wear you should replace tires every 5 years. Barring any damage I usually get 6-7 years before I break down and buy new ones.
                            The Crestliner Restoration

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....49#post2218249

1967 16' Crestliner and 60hp Johnny

Klamath Trailorboat and 9.9 Johnny

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied! Great advise... and I'll be buying some dryer sheets for the winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X