What size trailer do I need????

peanutbay1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I may be getting a 1990 bayliner 27ft cruiser and I need to know what size trailer will haul this boat. I currently have a 6k twin screw trailer with a bayliner 23ft open bow on it. Would this trailer work??? The weight of the boat is listed as 4300lbs.:confused:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: What size trailer do I need????

OK,
lets look at it like this, first your boat 4300 pounds (dry weight) no gas water gear food beer etc.
trailer 6000 pounds gvw, what does the trailer weigh 1200-1800 pounds?
total weight 5500 pounds "plus"
your on the edge.
rob

peanutbay1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:
I have found a 7500lb GVW loadrite trailer. Here is my situation. The boat I am getting is a 2755 sunbridge. The trailer measures 26'6" from the coupler to the last roller in the rear. I have been searching these boats for a week solid and most that I find look to be sitting on a trailer that is about 3' shorter than the overall boat length. My question is how much of a 27" cruiser must be resting in the rollers. The trailer I found would support the boat from the transom to the bow eye. Will this work??????:confused:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I do not know what your boat ways in dry, but I bet it is in the 6000 pound plus catagory. If your trailer is only 7500 pounds GVW I am thinking it could be to small for your boat, you are going to have to do the math on this one.
Trailer GVW minus (boat weight + trailer weight)
rob

peanutbay1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I must be asking this question the wrong way. I understand how GVW works. The trailer I am purchasing is 7000gvw-1200(trailer)=5800lbs. The boat weight is 5000lbs so I understand I am close on the weight issue. What I need to know is how much length is required as per my earlier posted question and information about the boat and trailer. I am considering adding and additional axle to the trailer I am purchasing which would take my GVW up over 9k. I just need to know if this boat will fit on the trailer when I pick it up 2 states away.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

OK then, I understand that you understand the GVW thing. So lets go with the boat length thing, first there is tongue weight, "how much weight can you put on the hitch", the further your boat sits ahead the more weight you have on the ball.
some one mentioned the 10% rule for tongue weight
I believe you are only allowed to have 1 yard of boat/material hang past your tail lights legally (check state DMV) you may have to add lights further out.
and were I live you cannot legally change the GVW of your trailer as it was designed for the max weight stated on the build tag.
"can you haul the boat on the trailer" I would say yes as long as you adjust the boat for the tongue weight and you make sure people can see your lights.
You did not mention the width of the beam, when you get over 8.6 feet you "could" be looking at an overwidth permit, and you will require red flags on both sides at the widest point for day travel and marker lights in the same place for night travel, check the DMV
I hope this helped alittle :):)
rob

peanutbay1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the information. It does help. My truck is a 1ton deisel and I am not sure of the hitch but it is factory and hot riveted to the frame. The boat is an 8'6" beam so I am good to go there. Our current boat is a 23' open bow so this big cruiser is a new type of towing for me. I had a 28' rv so I think it should have similar charactaristics. If I can get the boat home safley then I can address some improvements to the trailer during the off season. Thanks again!!!:D

rbh

Fleet Admiral

One thing I should add is the tires should be inspected to see if they are rated to handle your max GVW, check all four as they could be different
rob