What do you use on your winch?? Cable, Rope, Starp.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
what do you use on your boat trailer wench a?
Cable, Rope, Strap
I have seen many diffrent boats with all of theses but wasnt sure which one is the best. What do you use?
Reason I ask is because I have a old hemp rope on my winch and this weekend at the boat launch must not have put the trailer in far enought and the really old rope snap right when it was almost all the way on the trailer. I had to put on the safty chain and used rope to tie up the front and slowly pull her out. What a pain in the a...

And can I change my wench to a cable or strap if mine was originaly rope?? How do I do this? Looked at where the rope connects and its doesnt even look like its tied at the end of the winch but dont really now how they hold in there.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: What do you use on your wench?? Cable, Rope, Starp.

I use a velvet glove on my wench. And I don't dare let her read posts where I refer to her as a wench!

As far as boat WINCHES (you got it right once), I prefer a strap, but have seen ones with cable do a good job too.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I tie my wench up once in a while. Usually use by robe's belt.

My Winch has a strap, and I like it much better than a cable.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow--wench winch or wynch the question was for strap cable or rope or spellcheck wait starp not strap i use a starpstrap

jake069

Seaman

STARP all the way. Starps on the transom as well

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 22-foot offshore, walk-around cuddy that had a steel cable, it got frayed and would cut or nick my hands before I got smart enough to replace it. Every boat since has a strap. I prefer a strap.

You might consider replacing your winch if it won't work with the decision you make, or if it's getting corroded or worn out.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i just got a strap and luv it use a cable and rope before they suck ,the strap is a lot easier to use.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

strap. theres a poll a few threads down called cable or strap thats a good survey of what the preferred one is.....i believe most go with the strap, you should be able to pull the rope off and add a strap with no problem.

fishrdan

Admiral

Looked at where the rope connects and its doesnt even look like its tied at the end of the winch but dont really now how they hold in there.

Spool should have holes on the side where you can push the rope through and lock it into place, weave it through a couple and then knot it, or leave a tag end that you tighten the rope over. I wouldn't use rope as I've seen too many of them snap while loading, usually rotted/old rope.

See if there are bolt holes near the bottom of the spool where you can insert a bolt through the spool. The end loop of the strap goes through the bolt. If no bolt holes, drill them about 1/4" above the bottom of the spool so you have room for the strap to fit, mine has a 1/4" bolt anchoring the strap to the spool.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: What do you use on your winch?? Cable, Rope, Starp.

Some of the old cable/rope winches are too narrow for a standard strap. I ended up replacing the whole winch on the trailer when I switched. Also got a winch with a longer handle so cranking the last few feet are easier. Handle does come close to the bow though.