winch safety chain

Greenjello

Seaman
I just boat a boat it is a 95 nitro with a matching 95 tracker trailer. My question is why doesn't it have a safety chain for the winch? It doesn't even look like it has a place for the chain does anyone have any recomendations?

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: winch safety chain

there's no spot on the trailer for a safety chain to the boat? what should you do? make a spot. have someone make a spot. picking it up off of the asphalt will suck.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fabricate a mount for the chain and get yourself a safety chain before you trailer it anywhere. Its a very important piece of trailer hardware and you should not be without it.

Its pretty damn easy to fix onto a trailer too. Drill a hole, bolt it on, clip it to the bow eye and your done. Fun with a few beers and power tools! :D

RC

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had no chain either. I just went and bought some chain and quick links, then wrapped the chain around the trailer frame (not the winch stand) and connected it with the links. Then hooked it to the bow eye. $10 and done.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

A safety chain is without a doubt necessary, but completely useless when your bow eye's bolt breaks, which happened to me a few years ago. Of course my boat was 30+ years old at the time so that bolt was overdue for replacement. I've also re-aligned my winch so that the strap attaches to the bow eye more in a straight line, hopefully putting less stress on the bow eye.

Flying Sushi

Seaman

Safety chain to me is more like feel better items since if you get an accident and faced with any sudden stop likely eye will brake off from the boat? However. The chain will help for minor issue especially if the wench brakes. I think most important part of safety chain is when you backing your trailer at steep ramp specially with roller trailer the boat could slide off from the trailer? The safety chain is the last thing come out from my boat when I launch and the first thing to get hock up when I wench the boat up to the position.

Greenjello

Seaman

I am going tomorrow to buy some chain and make one, I just thouth it was so wierd to not have one on a trailer from the factory, I just don't see a place for one that was ever mounted

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a pic of my $10 chain setup:

047.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Safety chain is an absolute essential.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attached pic.
I have the safety chain in case of winch failure , and another to take the braking load off the winch stand. At the stern, two nylon cargo straps from the stern eyes to teh trailer They are required Florida law, but good common sense. I error on the side of safety.
Besides, about 20 years ago, had a buddy's boat launch from his trailer at a stoplight on a busy main road when his winch strap failed. Besides the embaresment, boggered up the hull, motor and got a ticket for an unsecured load.
You cant have too many safety chains.

Attachments

• Picture 143a.jpg
    Picture 143a.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Question on how to attach the chain to the trailer using a bolt.

My tongue is 3" square...do I just drill matching holes on each side of the tongue and get a bolt long enough to pass through the tongue and then attach a lock nut on the far side?

Bifflefan

Commander

Question on how to attach the chain to the trailer using a bolt.

My tongue is 3" square...do I just drill matching holes on each side of the tongue and get a bolt long enough to pass through the tongue and then attach a lock nut on the far side?

that should work fine. as its a hollow tube your bolting through, dont over tighten the bolt as you will just crush the tube. get it tight and then double nut it. use a good bolt, grade 8. make sure you use grade 8 washers and nuts also.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I bought some 5/16" proof chain today. Mow much slack in the bow safety chain is acceptable? Is 3-4" to make hooking/unhooking fairly easy OK?

Luv2q

Cadet

Question: Instead of attaching the boat's safety chain to the trailer somewhere, could you not attach it to the hitch just like your trailer safety chains?

Thalasso

Commander

Question: Instead of attaching the boat's safety chain to the trailer somewhere, could you not attach it to the hitch just like your trailer safety chains?

Think about what you just asked. What happens when you make a turn? Tear the winch stand off?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Three year old thread, guys. Please do not restart dead threads whose OP has been gone for years.

Luv2q

Cadet

Think about what you just asked. What happens when you make a turn? Tear the winch stand off?

Well, heck! That's what happens when you're a noob: Ask dumb questions.

And to JB: Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.