1 7/8ths ball 2" trailer

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I tow my boat with a 1 7/8ths about 200 yards with this set up?

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1 7/8ths ball 2" trailer

Not recommended of course but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Open the trailer socket put on the ball and lock it. If you have substantial tongue weight it should stay put. If you don't have someone ride on top of the tongue but be very careful. I am assuming you can do this 200 trip at a very slow and controlled speed. I had my boys bring my trailer to me once. 40 mile drive. I stepped in the back of the trailer and up came the tongue. They had locked the hitch on top of the ball!! Rick.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My dad did it for years,I never could convince him to use the proper ball on it.

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check how tight it is when i get home. Right now when i try to put it on a two inch ball its a son of a guy. At first i thought hell it was a 1 7/8ths but on the trailer tongue it says 2" but it is hard to get it on a 2" so i think i will be alright.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sounds like the coupler may need to be adjusted. There is a nut underneath that you can loosen a bit if it doesnt want to go over the ball. Just make sure that if you do an adjustment that you dont get it so loose that it will pop off the ball.

Splat

Lieutenant

Can I tow my boat with a 1 7/8ths about 200 yards with this set up?

NO YOU CAN"T. It's dangerous irresponsible, and makes you liable if someone gets hurt. The trailer says 2'' for a reason. This is how innocent people get killed.

and no someone cant' just ride on the tongue.

Plus because you posted this on a public forum, god forbid someone gets hurt and sues you, your post about knowingly doing it is admissible in court. Don't think that can happen? Ha! It can, I've been a character witness in a civil case where it did.

Please get the proper equipment before you tow a several hundred/thousand pound semi-guided missile down the road.

BIll

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

just adjust it and use the 2" ball. you will feel much better about it every time you tow.

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is how boat and trailer thieves do it if you lock your latch with no protection where the ball goes. BUT, if you are thinking of backing it down a ramp where the weight of the boat will shift downhill, I wouldn't do it.:eek:

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Course I'm a worry wort anyway, but I agree with splat, I mean how much does a 2" ball cost for goodness sake. A whole lot less than the damage caused by tounge coming loose and the boat & trailer slamming into the rear of your tow vehicle or worse an oncoming innocent bystander in the opposite lane.

Remember safe boatin ya'll (includes getting there and back home safely)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Adjust the receiver on the trailer and use the correct ball.

a70eliminator

Captain

I have a 1-7/8 ball on my tractor, I tow 2" stuff all the time with it, mulch the beds, trailer the garbage, as well as move the boats around the yard. I'm not condoning it, just telling you I've done it, but I sure wouldn't drive the interstate, down the local road to the neighbors for an isolated situation is another thing.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

200 yards, as long as the couple is tight you will be fine. Despite all the scary warning some on here may post, you would be surprised as to the number of people that do this on a regular basis without giving it a second thought.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 1-7/8 ball on my tractor, I tow 2" stuff all the time with it, mulch the beds, trailer the garbage, as well as move the boats around the yard. I'm not condoning it, just telling you I've done it, but I sure wouldn't drive the interstate, down the local road to the neighbors for an isolated situation is another thing.

i do the same with a forklift. I can move all 3 trailers at work including mine, which are all different ball sizes with 1 ball. However, I did scratch my fresh painted boat trailer because i went to fast and it popped off over a bump and the trailer slid into the forks.

Splat

Lieutenant

200 yards, as long as the couple is tight you will be fine. Despite all the scary warning some on here may post, you would be surprised as to the number of people that do this on a regular basis without giving it a second thought.

This amazing

How stupid is this. Were arguing over a $9.99(i just looked them up online at autozone, or $7.99 at harbor freight, or $24.99 at harbor freight for the draw bar that has all 3 sizes) part to make the difference from moderately dangerous and %100 wrong, to Being as safe as possiable, responsible and doing it the right way.

I can't believe were arguing this. This is like arguing do I need a seatbelt because I' not gonna crash, and if I do these windows are hard as glass and will keep me from flopping around.
Bill

reelfishin

Captain

The difference of 1/8" is so small that if the coupler is adjusted properly to fit a 2" ball it will hold the 1 7/8" ball fine if you just moving it across the yard.
It's not like he's running the interstate with it. I have a tractor I use to move my boats around the yard, it's got a 1 7/8" ball on it, one of those stamped sheet metal ones that you find in the dollar stores. It works fine for all boats, never dropped one yet in 25 years.

If your worried about it dropping, then by all means go buy a cheap 2" ball.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Two opinions:

If you are moving a boat 200yards downt he road and (possibly) back just to help someone out as a one time thing, I'd do it.

If you are doing this on a regular basis, I'd just spend the money on a triple ball receiver at HF. By the time you read this reply, you could have had one already.

pkrainert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a ball only cost about 10 dollars. But I was just moving it a maybe 50 feet. And it worked fine and I never went over 5 mph. Any no one was around to get hurt anyways. I would never take it out on the road with the wrong size let alone launch it.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why in the world do they still make those hitches:confused:
that 1/8" can be a hassel

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to admit my stupidity on this one....

For several months, I was pulling my tandem axle landscape trailer with approx. $10k worth of mowing equipment on it. In town, on the highway, interstate, up & downhill.... all with a 1 7/8 ball and a 2" trailer.

I had changed vehicles last fall and stuck the wrong ball on. I just REALLY thought I had the right one, but got messed up and didn't check (not like it's hard). I got REALLY lucky. I obviously never had any problems, but there was a lot of tongue weight (then again, I have loaded and unloaded mowers and a 3,000lb skid loader without it ever popping off).

I discovered it when I went to get my "new" boat. I wanted to make sure he had a 2" trailer.... and.... what the?...... well... I now have a 2" ball on there!