Trailer rim repair

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 40 year old rims with the spring clips that hold the moon hubcaps for my Holsclaw trailer. I bought new tires yesterday and one of the rims' valve hole is too corroded to hold pressure with the new valve. I could weld a washer to the inside of the rim and that would fix it. Then I thought J-B Weld would be easier than using my MIG welder. Whaddaya think?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer rim repair

First off, I'd opt for a new rim. Otherwise...
If the rest of the rim is good, I'd probably open the hole and braze a washer on for the new stem. I'm not good enough to make an airtight weld.

I wouldn't trust the JB Weld.

nate1220

Seaman

I wouldn't do either. I would either run a tube in the tire or buy a new rim. If the vavle hole is that rusted I would clean the whole wheel to make sure there aren't any pin holes anywhere. I was a tire technician and know alot about this subject. If you heat the wheel to much it makes it brittle and it could split.

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'll check it for pin holes. Trouble is i can't buy a "new" rim because they don't make them like this anymore. I would have to find another old one in good condition. I'll try to weld this one and if I screw it up I'll search for a replacement.

speedoflite2

Seaman

try a bolt in valve stem they make them with rubber washers on both sides. That should get it sealed up. Or as suggested tube it. They aint that much an dat least you know theres a seal there. Dont go welding it. An yes I am a tire tech. As stated by the other guy the extra heat can make things worse.