87 shorelander brake question

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 87 shorelander that is tandem axle trailer that had surge drum brakes till last year I had one wheel that the shoes separated and started to heat the one wheel up. So I just pulled the brakes off both sides. Which I have always had problems with I have a long gravel driveway that is pretty steep. So they were dragging going down and really hard to back up when I back up to the garage. I would really like to install an electric drum brake kit on it. I already am wired for electric brakes on my truck for camper and car trailer. I have seen several electric backing plates for like 75.00 for both sides on ebay. I am assuming as long as my drums are for 10 x 2-1/4 shoes I can use my drums I have correct? Is 75.00 for both sides a good deal or can someone point me in a better direction.

hh0205

Recruit
Re: 87 shorelander brake question

EDIT: Contact information removed. Please read the posting guidelines.

You can re-use the drum. Just purchase the complete backing plates.

Last edited by a moderator:

MDJ1016

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 87 shorelander brake question

Did you make the change? I want to put electronic brakes on my trailer. I think that the trailer needs help when stopping. I have a 21' boat on it (tandem also) with the surge brakes. Had the "___" pucker up a few times for quick stops with my smaller tow vehicle.